Lookng at a used Hammerli 280. *Some details* Opinions pls?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
MSC

Lookng at a used Hammerli 280. *Some details* Opinions pls?

Post by MSC »

Going to check one out/shoot it on monday. Is there anything I should look for - known wear/stress points, or anything like that?

Typically I check the barrel crown, breech, overall condition/functioning, etc...

Thanks for any input!
Last edited by MSC on Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

I've got one (with both barrels). Nice gun to shoot, comes back on line quickly, almost naturally. Nicely engineered. From what I've heard and read it is probably one of the best choices before adjustable grips and fully adjustable sights became the norm. I've replaced the plastic grip with a wooden Rink grip which (for me) made it point better without forcing the wrist.
Mike Taylor

H280 issues

Post by Mike Taylor »

You might try searching on " Hammerli AND 280 "
Here is one pertinent thread:
http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php ... mmerli+280
Mike T.
MSC

Post by MSC »

Thanks Mike. I've searched the threads by "280", and I've even read everything on "Hammerli" here. Just was asking for anything esle out there. Likely not anything more....
Fred

Post by Fred »

jbshooter wrote: I've replaced the plastic grip
jbshooter,

Please clarify this. I've never seen a plastic grip on a Hammerli 280, much less as original equipment.

Thanks,
Fred
Rob

Post by Rob »

I sorta remember seeing a Gentleman at Dutchess County (NY) with an early 280 with Black/dark grey Hammerli grips. He's an older guy that shoots Hammerli's exclusively,free,standard, centerfire and a beautiful rapid fire gun (.22 short). Nice guy with all the Hammerli gadgets! Only going by a failing memory!
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Hammerli did make a plastic grip for the 280, the same material as the "one-piece" SP20 grip/frame.
Mellberg

Post by Mellberg »

I have two 280, one .22lr and one .32S&WL and I must say they are truly excellent pistols! They don't have all the adjustments as the newer guns, but they are extremely reliable and accurate.

At the European Cup last year I got the feeling that there were more than 50% 280-shooters in all the competitions in centerfire, and a lot of them in standard pistol.

The military record in centerfire, 597 (298 + 299) was shot with a 280 two years ago if I'm not mistaken.
CA Bullseye

Hammerli 280, Two Versions

Post by CA Bullseye »

MSC:

Please note that there are two versions of the Hammerli 280’s. The first has two securing pins on the muzzle face. The other has an Allen screw at the muzzle face. This one was produced last until it was discontinued. Because I only have the more recent one (allen screw type) my knowledge is limited to that one. The Allen screw has two purposes: 1. It secures the upper to the frame. 2. And it also secures the guide rode in the slide. It acts like a full-length guide rode in a .45-1911. I was told by the former Hammerli dealer in the west coast that the two-pin design was changed for the Allen screw because it lasted longer and the slide functioned better. He also stated that it was a limited run and that finding the .22 or .32 upper for it would be hard to find. So my personal comment to that would be depending on which caliber you buy it would be harder to find the other one with the two-pin design.

CA Bullseye
Attachments
Allen Screw Design (Photo by CA Bullseye)
Allen Screw Design (Photo by CA Bullseye)
Two Pin Design (Photo by K5Tangos)
Two Pin Design (Photo by K5Tangos)
MSC

Post by MSC »

I checked out and fired the gun today.

Very clean cosmetically. Functioned perfectly and shot into a dime at 50ft from the bench w/CCI Std Vel (all I had to try). It's missing the rear sight (an Oak Shore Ultra Dot is mounted) and the safety in the grip is gone.

My only concern is that the gun is from 1992 and my impression is that the owner shot it a lot. The metal (well composite, mostly) is in great shape, however the grip is well-worn. Could I possibly be buying a "worn-out" gun? It's obviously still very accurate, and it functions perfectly, so that makes me a bit less concerned. I just fear that I'd send it up to Larry's for a checkup, and he comes back with a laundry list of parts needed, or that it's on it's last leg.

Unfortunately the seller is someone who inherited it, and only knows that the owner was a competitive shooter.

I can likely get it for $750, with the dot mounted, 2 spare mags and all the factory paperwork, down to receipt and copy of the money order for the $1,350 purchase price!

What do you guys think?
Mike Taylor

Post by Mike Taylor »

I wouldn't reject the gun on the basis of a 'worn' grip. My first thought is that the previous owner did carving and filling to fit the grip for himself. A grip will get discolored with use, but I can't imagine that it would wear to any appreciable extent. Since it functions well and groups tightly, I would go for it. You will want to putty and file the grip to suit yourself anyway.
The price seems good, too. (I paid $1000 for a used, early-model 280 without a dot sight a couple of years ago and don't regret it.)
Mike T.
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

MSC wrote: I can likely get it for $750, with the dot mounted, 2 spare mags and all the factory paperwork, down to receipt and copy of the money order for the $1,350 purchase price!

What do you guys think?
I think if you don't want to buy, send me the contact information and I will buy it---seriously, even though today is April 1.
Ben
Mellberg

Post by Mellberg »

$750 is a bargain! Buy it, or I will end up with my third 280... ;)
MSC

Post by MSC »

A fellow on the team we were shooting against last night had a 280, and basically passed along the same sentiment - great deal for $750. I think I'm gonna pick it up.

It's not the Pardini I was hoping to get this go-round, but at 1/2 the price it surely isn't half the gun. And I'm sure I can get 100% plus back if I were to re-sell it.

Thanks again everyone for your input. As always, much appreciated!
LukeP

Post by LukeP »

Mellberg wrote:$750 is a bargain! Buy it, or I will end up with my third 280... ;)
I found a Hammerli 280, 32 caliber only, external as new condition, about the same price, 800$.
I'm not so sure if it's a good value, or a dead pistol, i'm worring about normal maintenance spares: like firing pin, recoil spring, extractor.
Where i can find it? (i come from italy)
And is there other parts to look at?

Thank you for your advice,
best regards,
LukeP.