"standard" pellet head diameter?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
alex c.

"standard" pellet head diameter?

Post by alex c. »

I need to order some 4.49 heavy R10's , since they are what my AP and myself like best.

I noticed Airguns of Arizona has heavy and light R10's cheap and mentions the different head diameters but does not have a way to select them.

I sent them an E-mail and they did not seem to understand what I was talking about in reference to head diameter.

For the sites that sell R10's and do not have the head diameter listed or the option to select them, (air guns of arizona, pyramid air, ect) is 4.49 the "standard size" or is 4.50?

I just don't want to assume and order 10 tins of the wrong pellets. If I cannot find a clear answer, I will just order from Neal Johnsons where you can select the diameter, but would rather buy from Airguns of Arizona if they have 4.49 to save 2$ a tin.

$2x10 tins=20$ more. I'm a junior so I'd rather save the $ if I can.

Thanks for your help,
Alex
rolado

Post by rolado »

Write it in the discription of what you are ordering
alex c.

Post by alex c. »

I want to make sure they have it before I place an oder for it. I wasn't very assured when I got a replay from asking about head size and all I got was,

"We have both pistol and rifle in .177"

Has any one ordered specific head size from Airguns of Arizona before?
alex c.

Post by alex c. »

And now they replied saying,
"they no longer make those pellets with different head sizes"

still trying to figure out what the "standard" head size is.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Alex,
I believe Neal Stepp at International Shooters Service carries R-10 pellets. You can see prices on his web site. Standard size for R-10 pellets is 4.50 - at least the ones I have ordered always come in that size.

Fred
Tom Amlie

Post by Tom Amlie »

Try this web-site. Better price, although sizes not listed. You'll probably need to call.

http://www.dnrsports.com/acatalog/D___R ... _2219.html
Marc Orvin

Post by Marc Orvin »

Alex,
Best thing you could possibly do is to contact the owner of this website and buy Vogel pellets from him.

I know you will like them. Not to mention that Scott knows everything there is to know about pellets, head sizes, weights, alloys, etc. And he is the type of guy who is willing to answer your questions.

Just one happy customer's opinion.

Marc
GaryBF

Post by GaryBF »

I believe 4.50 is the nominal head size for .177 pellets. I looked at some empty tins from when I purchased pellets from AOA (four different brands) and they were all marked 4.50.
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

Alex, first read this
viewtopic.php?t=17682

second, since you are shooting AP, it does not matter what head size nor which brand of match grade pellets (Vogel, H&N, RWS ) you are shooting, any will outshoot you in your Air Pistol.
alex c.

Post by alex c. »

I've read it before.

At olympic trials a few weeks ago my LP1 started having problems the day before practice. So I took it to Neal Johnsons. They fixed it and group tested it with different weight and sized R10's and H&N's.

While all of the groups would hold the 10 ring, 4.49 Heavy R10 produced the best groups.

Might as well get the best grouping pellets for my gun since I have big matches coming up and am in the high 560's low 570's range.

I just ordered the R10's I needed. Next time I'll test group with different Vogel pellets.

Thank you everyone for your input,
Alex