2002 buttplate

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

coolcruiser

2002 buttplate

Post by coolcruiser »

I would like to install a better buttplate on my Anschutz 2002. Any suggestions for good ones or warnings about bad ones...aftermarket?
TIA
laxratnd

hey

Post by laxratnd »

What kind of buttplate is on there now. A aluminum or rubber one.

You could look at MEC or Gemini buttplates if you want.

lax
Jerry Mellis

Post by Jerry Mellis »

I think the best going is the "MEC Free Position" butt and hook.
laxratnd

hey

Post by laxratnd »

He has an air rifle. This cant have a free butt plate and hook.

Has to have an air rifle butt plate.

lax
Jerry Mellis

Post by Jerry Mellis »

Take the hook off he free position plate. That's what I have on my 2002 CA and it's legal.

JM

The Walther Autec comes with the MEC Free Position butt sans the hook:

B.T.Carstensen

Post by B.T.Carstensen »

Actually the buttplate that is on the Walther air rifle is the MEC Contact III.

Where the the MEC Free Position buttplate my be legal in air rifle "without the hook" (I didn't find anything that said it wasn't illegal) it is still not a good idea to use the MEC Free Position buttplate it has way to many adjustment's for air rifle and it would be easy to go from legal to illegal with all of the adjustment's.
I own the MEC Free Position and I think it's great, but only for smallbore.

I would recommend getting MEC Contact III I have this buttplate as well and I swear by it.
It was a major improvement over the stock FWB buttplate which I found to be terrible.

-Brian
Attachments
mec_contact3_132.jpg
mec_contact3_132.jpg (4.35 KiB) Viewed 2355 times
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Not sure about on a 2002 but I bought a P70 with a MEC butt plate on it. I thought it looked like a nice butt plate. It added enough length to the rifle to make it feel very awkward to me so it is gone off my rifle.

What specifically do you want to butt plate to do better? Air rifle butt plate limitations are such that there is not a lot to be gained. I have spoken with several people who have put the gemini air rifle butt plates on 2002's and they said it was not all that much better.
coolcruiser

better buttplate features

Post by coolcruiser »

Hey Pete
would like to improve the following:
1. better adjustability for each position. The rubber original with the bumped out lower does not allow a good prone position in particular
2. good shoulder fit...same as #1...particularly a problem in prone.
A buttplate like the MEC Contact would improve both #1 and #2 but there may be other choices.
CC
laxratnd

hey

Post by laxratnd »

Oh ok. well good thing you told us about that you shoot 3p air. yes then i would recomend going with the aftermarket butt plates like MEC or Gemini. They are both great but i think the MEC might have a little over the Gemini with adjustment.

See if you can find someone that has the MEC one and try it. I have a FWB 700 and i am considering trying a different butt plate.

good luck

lax
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Yes, I was thinking standing only and was also thinking the ans aluminum which I think may be a shade inferior to the others mentioned but not much. The rubber one may be worth the upgrade.
coolcruiser

Contact3 is the choice...but $180 is the price

Post by coolcruiser »

It seems like the MEC Contact 3 is the best model of buttplate available from what we see presented here. Unfortunately the cost will temper my enthusiasm about calling Centershot or CC and placing one on order. That generation of air rifles, of which mine is one, all suffered from minimal buttplate adjustability. I may try to machine one using the MEC as a model...if I do that i will post a pic here for those interested. Otherwise it is time to save up the pennies and soda bottles.
laxratnd

hey

Post by laxratnd »

The price problem can cause you to look the other way. The thing is that the Euro keeps going up and thats why these shooting items are going up so high. Good luck with whatever you do. The euro is way i really havent bought a new butt plate yet. Rather spend my money on some of my center fire rifles right now. Good luck with it

Lax
robf

Post by robf »

just changed mine for a mec contact III of one of my walthers....seems much more positive...i always found getting the 2002 butt in a consistant place and holding it here problematic