Riser Blocks - any thoughts or preferences?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

an1913t

Riser Blocks - any thoughts or preferences?

Post by an1913t »

I'm looking at riser block for my Anschutz 1913.

Does anyone have any thoughts or comments regarding the various options out there (e.g. Centra, Anschutz, Gehmann, etc.)? I'm particularly interested in comments regarding the taller block like the Centra Max or Gehmann Adjustable. Also, any thoughts on the block sets that can be used for offset applications?

Thanks.
Telecomtodd

Post by Telecomtodd »

Interesting topic. My son's 1913 came with the black riser block, but because of his build, it's not very useful - thus we're selling the block.

What his juniors coach did with his personal 1413 is use the "handle" platform that Anschutz supposedly doesn't make anymore, and then take off the handle leaving the metal piece as a riser platform. That then can be run all the way back on the rail and leave more room at the forestock.

Because of my son's build, the forestock stop is located most of the way down the rail, maybe 2-3" from the end. When he mounts his bipod, there's no more room on the rail for things like his Noptel sensor. So, when he's using his Noptel, he has to pull off the bipod. That doesn't sound like a big deal, but if you bump the silly thing when setting the rifle down because you took off the bipod, you pretty much have to set up the Noptel all over again.

Todd
Jordan F.

Post by Jordan F. »

I find raiser blocks very useful because of my built (tall and on the lighter side with a longer neck). They really help me get into a comfortable position and keep my head strait up and down. Its really up to the shooters build and if they work or not. I used Gehmann adjustable and the riser blocks that came with my feinwerkbau (the adjustable ones are real nice and go up preatty high)

A gentle reminder: nomenclature is everything

Post by Guest »

Just FYI, Todd, I think you'll find that the item you are refering to, is what most will recognize as the "palm block" or "palm rest". It sounds like the original poster was writing about the little metal blocks that go on top of the action and front sight dovetails, to raise the sights up.
an1913t

Post by an1913t »

Thanks, correct. I'm looking for info on the sight riser blocks. There seem to be a lot of choices, and I was just trying to get some input to help narrow the field.
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

Anything that allows you to keep your head as upright as possible will be advantageous, especially in the standing position. Quite often, it will depend on your build/facial features. Most people I know including myself run at least one riser. I've seen some people run as many as 4.

I like to get in position, and get as comfortable as possible with no sights on the rifle. Then, put the sights on and adjust accordingly. One riser of approximately 1/2" did the trick for me.
an1913t

Post by an1913t »

Has anyone use the riser blocks that allow the sights to be offset from the line of the bore? I'm assuming these are so you keep your head completely vertical but don't have to cant the rifle to get the sights in front of your eyes. Any comments on riser blocks with this ability?
Grzegorz G.

Post by Grzegorz G. »

My shooter uses MEC riser blocks with offset and maximum distance allowed (between bore and sitgts 60mm). Good solution in my opinion.

Grzegorz G.

Post by Grzegorz G. »

It is called "Track Max" sold by MEC but as Centra product.

kslee

Offset riser blocks

Post by kslee »

I am looking for a set of offset riser blocks. We ordered some from Champion Shooters I believe but they said they were on backorder, and they didn't know when they'd get them in. Then we called Champions Choice and they told us that they'd been discontinued by the manufacturer. However apparently there's some that are adjustable horizontally and vertically (I saw a post earlier with a picture) but they're $235. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I really need these before August 26 or soon after.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

I was in Neal J'sesterday & he had a set of offsets (used) for $100 ... F&R
ADC59

Re: Sight Riser Blocks and Offset Riser Blocks

Post by ADC59 »

An1913t

A good option is to have Bill Earnest at Earnest Shooting Products make you a set. He makes riser block sets in heights of 6, 8, 10, 14, 17, and 20mm. Very high quality work at reasonable prices. His phone number is 570-797-4872.

KSLee: Send me an e-mail at alcarey@w-link.net. I may have what you are looking for.

Alan Carey
Rutty

Post by Rutty »

There is also the Centra Block Club which has more limited adjustment than the Block Max but is about half the price.

Rutty
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

OK dumb question time.
I see the Track Max has different part numbers for the different rifle brands. What is the difference between the different rifle brands?
Is it the width of the sight rail?

tnx
methosb

Post by methosb »

GaryN wrote:Is it the width of the sight rail?
Correct.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

On the mens 3 position final, I notice something.
One of the AUT shooters was shooting right handed, but it looked like his rear sight was offset to the right, like his head is leaning farther over the centerline of the rifle.

I also notice how high most of the risers are.