Steyr Lp10: lead.

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
LukeP

Steyr Lp10: lead.

Post by LukeP »

There are consisten traces of lead in my new lp10 after a few tins of pellet, maybe 3-4 tins.
Lead's traces all over the barrel end: inside the barrel shroud soon after barrel end, on the cone, on the face of the barrel and on compensator's windows: all full of lead. Take out with a white cloth and two drops of Kentron oil, the cloth became grey.
Then i pull down the barrel a new piece of white cloth, and it was literally all black.

It's normale in your lp10 this kind of lead traces?

Thank you,
LukeP.
Fred Mannis

Re: Steyr Lp10: lead.

Post by Fred Mannis »

LukeP wrote:There are consisten traces of lead in my new lp10 after a few tins of pellet, maybe 3-4 tins.
Lead's traces all over the barrel end: inside the barrel shroud soon after barrel end, on the cone, on the face of the barrel and on compensator's windows: all full of lead. Take out with a white cloth and two drops of Kentron oil, the cloth became grey.
Then i pull down the barrel a new piece of white cloth, and it was literally all black.

It's normale in your lp10 this kind of lead traces?

Thank you,
LukeP.
Luke,
Are you sure these deposits are lead? Pellets are coated with graphite lubricant and some of the graphite is left behind on the barrel, compensator, etc. What brand of pellets are you using?

I shoot a few felt cleaning pellets (some people prefer to use patches on a pull through) every 500 rounds and they come out marked with black from the graphite. If I waited for 1500-2000 pellets before cleaning, I am sure the felt pellets (or patch) would come out blacker. It is not a problem.
LukeP

Re: Steyr Lp10: lead.

Post by LukeP »

I make the assumption thay are lead traces because in izh46m barrel, i have no traces even after 5000-6000, only one little grey felt, the first one; so i wan thinking it was due to the the higher velocity of the steyr lp10.
With izzy i'm using Rws R10 match:

With LP10 i used H&N FINALE MATCH PISTOL:

Maybe I am wrong: traces of black are quickly out by just rubbing a soft cloth. Maybe lead is more resistant...

Thank you,
best regards,
LukeP.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

All I can say is that the heavy blackening is not my experience. I also shoot R10 Match in my IZH and Finale Match High Speed in my P44 and see little difference in color of the cleaning pellets, and the amount of blackening is minimal. The velocity difference is not that great, about 12 m/s.

Focus on the front sight, not the cleaning patch :-)