Sport Pistol Event

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jjgun

Sport Pistol Event

Post by jjgun »

Going to shoot my first sport pistol competition (indoor at 50 ft) so here's a novice question. What kind of hold do people generally use for sport pistol given that slow and rapid fire use such differnt size targets? Center hold for both? I use a 6 o'clock hold for AP and Standard Pistol, but I don't even know if my sights have enough adjustment to change for a 6 o'clock hold on the rapid fire target.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Well the entire rapid target is black so I wouldn't adjust the sights to hols on the inch or so strip at the bottom.

I've done both, that is sub' 6, which is just an area aim you really don't need white to do the sub six. I've shot sub six on the precision and center on the rapid ( you do have sighters when you start the rapid portion) after you've done it a few times make sure you count the number of clicks and you can just set it there prior to starting and move it back when finished. I now do center hold for both.

Or you can buy an SSP with the complete kit and you can just swap the rear sight out (thats why it comes with two).
Kryten

Post by Kryten »

Shot in a Sport Pistol Competition last Sunday. I had the sights adjusted to 6 o clock hold and this worked great for the precision stage. I then dropped the rearsight by(on my pistol) 12 clicks, Used a center hold, even though the target only faces you for a mere 3 seconds, verified my POI using the sighters and voila... No problems...Actually won the comp...
jjgun

Post by jjgun »

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate your help. And congratulations Kryten.
TenX

Post by TenX »

I would suggest using a center hold for both slow nd rapid fire... If you are constently changing your sights it could be dentramental to you at a big match.. Ex: Not moving enough clicks to less or to litttle, or even forgetting becasue of match pressure.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

TenX wrote:I would suggest using a center hold for both slow nd rapid fire... If you are constently changing your sights it could be dentramental to you at a big match.. Ex: Not moving enough clicks to less or to litttle, or even forgetting becasue of match pressure.
That's what the sighting series will tell you...

Many shooters note down the number of clicks from the base setting for Precision and for RF Stage.

Spencer
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

As Spencer says, just write down the number of clicks required to go from precision to the the rapid stages. Any minor differences can be conducted during (after) the sighting series. Just remember to move them the right way though (and it's probably worth writing that down as well - i.e. turn 10 clicks to 'H' to go from precision to rapid - so as to remove any doubts during the heat of competition).

Rob.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

RobStubbs wrote:As Spencer says, just write down the number of clicks required to go from precision to the the rapid stages.
What Spencer was suggesting was knowing how many clicks you need from base, in addition to the difference between precision and rapid.

The most convenient fixed setting on the rear sight is screwed fully down until it stops (base). If you get confused about where your sights are set then you can just go to the base setting and work from there.