Smallbore backstop

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

blg

Smallbore backstop

Post by blg »

What size steel do you think should be used for smallbore backstops?
jholtman

Post by jholtman »

There are options that are important. Mild steel is cheaper but requires more thickness, there are alloys that are impact resistant and could reduce the required thickness but are more expensive. In today's world with known problems with lead exposure, I would not construct a steel impact type backstop. I think that one of the rubber media type backstops are more viable. They use ground tire or other rubber media behind a conveyor belt face to decelereate the bullet instead of splattering the bullet. the bullet is almost undamaged except for a small dent on the nose. The range that I shoot on uses the steel plate, but I have shot on the ground tire type and I was very impressed. There was no lead dust at the target and future clean up was straight forward without big health hazard as you are dealing with complete lead bullets instead of dust. I think that the rubber type may even be cheaper as the price of steel is high. I am hoping to upgrade our range in the future.
Jim Holtman

Re: Smallbore backstop

Post by Guest »

blg wrote:What size steel do you think should be used for smallbore backstops?
I would suggest that you search for an old Detroit Bullet Trap or a PYRA Trap. Both will handle up to a .45 without any noticeable denting over years of use. I have 'faced' both of mine with a rubber face and I have absolutely no dust generated - it stays within both traps.
jrmcdaniel

Post by jrmcdaniel »

Outers makes a very good .22 trap. I have one that has lived outdoors for years and still looks great.

Best,

Joe