Finger placement on trigger, part 2....

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
MSC

Finger placement on trigger, part 2....

Post by MSC »

I've read all the posts on placement, with regard to how far in... the pad, the first joint, in-between, etc...

But, with regard to the angle at which the finger crosses the trigger - am I correct in thinking that perpendicular is ideal? i.e. If you were looking from behind (on a RH shooter) the finger coming in at 3 o'clock?

In my case, my finger comes in downward, let's say from 1:30-2 o'clock. Would this be considered a fit issue? Or am I splitting hairs here?

Thanks for any feedback/experiences.
GaryBF

Post by GaryBF »

Your finger angle seems very normal to me. I checked my hand placement on my Anschutz air pistol, my High Standard Victor .22, and my Colt 1911, and it was the same as you describe. Further, there is nothing I can do to change my hand position-that's how I am built and the guns are built.
edster99

Post by edster99 »

I have my finger at 90 to the trigger, and the trigger is canted out at about 10 to 15 degrees to make that happen. Thats the angle my finger naturally forms coming off the grip, but I can pull through sweetly with no motion so it makes me happy.

Ed
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

What difference does it make, as long as you can consistently operate the trigger without disrupting the sight alignment?
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Seeing as we aren't marked on style points (yet) ;)

I think he is asking if using any different part helps in activating the trigger without disturbing the sights.
MSC

Post by MSC »

To Pat McCoy's question... That's why I'm asking. I've been somewhat inconsistent with my pull/release. If I had a perfect, repeatable release - I agree, I wouldn't care how I got there either! :)

I know part of it is that my finger comes through the triggerguard a bit too much. I find myself adjusting there, since it doesn't sit right on the pad of the finger. That I hope to remedy with larger/fuller grips. I'm pretty certain these won't change the angle my finger enters the triggerguard at, however. And I wondered if that's a good or bad thing. Hence my question.

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far. Good stuff, as always.