Why do I shoot 10's in the finals but not during the match?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
James.

Why do I shoot 10's in the finals but not during the match?

Post by James. »

I've been out of shooting for almost a year, but before I left off, my match average was 522.

In our matches we would often shoot finals. It seems like nearly all of my shots during the finals were 9's and 10's. I felt like I could shoot 10's on command.
RobStubbs

Re: Why do I shoot 10's in the finals but not during the mat

Post by RobStubbs »

James. wrote: In our matches we would often shoot finals. It seems like nearly all of my shots during the finals were 9's and 10's. I felt like I could shoot 10's on command.
Well it seems like, doesn't necessarily correlate with I do. I would suggest it's the way you mentally cope with finals (added pressure ?) v ordinary matches. If the finals are much better then try and replicate that feeling in the matches. Note also a finals is 10 shots as compared to a 60 shot match. That too could affect scores, but you'd need to properly analyse your match performace and see for example if scores dropped off throughout the match.

Rob.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

If I had to bet, it's two factors. Sharper mental focus (because you are only shooting 10 shots) and less physical fatigue (again, 10 shots).

I tend to do the same thing.
John Ariani

Post by John Ariani »

And for me, I find that psychologically, I enjoy knowing that I'm going to get 'more' for my score. Meaning a decimal place. For me (and I know this is not the right way to approach shooting any shot) I find the pressure off in a final as (confirming Mike's comment) it's only 10 shots and even my eight's won't look that bad (if they read 8.5+) and my nine's and tens will look good too. My usual series (of 10 shots) being around 91 and 92 suddenly become 94+ due to decimal places. That thought prior to starting makes me feel good - confident - eager to start.
(yes - I know, I've got work to do in my approach to my 60 shot qualifying efforts!!!)
Matt

Re: Why do I shoot 10's in the finals but not during the mat

Post by Matt »

James. wrote:I've been out of shooting for almost a year, but before I left off, my match average was 522.

In our matches we would often shoot finals. It seems like nearly all of my shots during the finals were 9's and 10's. I felt like I could shoot 10's on command.
Your Message Title contradicts your Message Body. Quite honestly, if you are capable of firing ALL 9's and 10's in the finals, then you are definately not firing 522's! IMHO, you need to study your charts, graphs, and notes to discover where you are currently in terms of capability. You will then be firing ALL 9's and 10's in the 60 shot portion. I trust that you have been recording your data diligently. Without data there isn't any progress. Get command of the 60 shot course first then begin training for the finals.

Your use of the word 'seems' will then turn into the use of the word 'knows'.

Matt
warpmaster

Watching your sights Vs Hunting

Post by warpmaster »

Another cause for your problem which is common and difficult to realize during your matches is that in a final your heightened sense of awareness and the pressure of not releasing a bad shot in front of your peers sometimes forces you to subconsciously go back to the basics that you can control i.e watching your sight alignment and focusing on a clean release.

Its another thing when your shooting a 60 shot match, yes as mentioned above fatigue (mostly mental) can affect you, but as you mentioned a 522 in qualifiers and 9's and 10's in finals would suggest that you are perhaps "Hunting" on the target in your 60 shot match.

Its hard to tell in the heat of a match but there is a subtle difference and it happens without your realizing it, the point when you go from aligning your sights, letting the target blur and releasing cleanly on the faith of your hold - to "Hunting" which is still you watching your sights but now your also becoming aware of the pistols movement and its relationship to the target and trying to release when you think the perfect alignment is reached.

Its happened to me many times in matches ill be shooting 97's and 98's and suddenly without realizing there will be a 92 or 93 usually with a 8 or two 8's in the series ... thats the time to take a break, refocus dry fire a bit and start again.

Try this dry fire 2-3 times every 5 shots in your match, when your not worried about shooting a 10 it can be easier to help you get your focus back on your sights ;-)
crosshairs

Post by crosshairs »

You're bored.

You need a little bit of caffeine for your match. I would recommend 2 cups of tea, or half a cup of coffee. 1 hour before the start of your shoot.

I'm serious.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

crosshairs wrote:You're bored.

You need a little bit of caffeine for your match. I would recommend 2 cups of tea, or half a cup of coffee. 1 hour before the start of your shoot.

I'm serious.
There are much better ways of raising your arousal levels, if that is indeed what the problem is. Stimulants (such as caffeine) can be at best unpredictable...

Rob.