Trigger control under stress

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Mike S-J

Trigger control under stress

Post by Mike S-J »

Hi guys 'n gals,

A quick 'coaching' question with an explanatory preamble.

Preamble:
I have been shooting 10m AP for 2 yrs now, so have seen a number of changes in my shooting ability and style. I have had several epiphanies and now find myself in a situation where, when I start a competition I have no "physical" nerves - i.e I am not shaking like a wet monkey. However, I have become aware of a new manifestation of nerves (yeah - the ones I thought I had "gotten over"). I just can't pull the trigger - the old smooth sub-conscious release whilst I am concentrating on the alignment turns into what feels like nervous overload in my trigger finger. This is NOT manifest as shaking, or a feeling of anxiety - it actually feels like the trigger pull has been re-adjusted to 10Kg - It was so bad in my last competition that I actually shot a 2! (I average 92 when not under match pressure - i.e. I have no problems shooting competition cards in my club).

So here is the question: Does anyone have any excercises or routines that would enable me to get to grips with this?

BTW - please don't advise me to do more competitions - Assume I have a modicum of intelligence and am shooting as many competitions as I can and have phrased my question accordingly.

Looking forward to hearing your solutions / experiences.
Tiger12

Post by Tiger12 »

I feel your pain!

This is exactly what has happened to me in the last 12 months, my trigger finger goes into super slow motion in competition and the trigger feels 10kg heavier. My coach has decided to change my trigger to a one stage trigger (which now makes it feel 20kg) to teach me to be more "bold" on the trigger. This is week 4 and it has significantly improved my groups in training although I am yet to shoot a major competition with this trigger.

cheers
Irene
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

don't have a chicken finger

http://www.pilkguns.com/c5.shtml
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Mike,
In training get used to shooting matches under pressure, do more dry firing and get more familiar with the trigger - how much trigger training do you do a week and what sort ?. In matches when you experience chicken finger - switch to dry firing. Dry fire a few shots until all feels 'normal' then revert to live again. Keep repeating as and when it ocurrs. If you keep getting said phenomenon then you need to develope additional stress control methods as this phenomenon is a sign of stress / anxiety or match nerves.

Rob.
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

don't forget to read the rest of these

http://www.pilkguns.com/hhg.shtml
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

My 'chicken finger' comes and goes. Some things that have helped me:
1. Don't try for a 10 on every shot. What you want is a technically perfect shot.

2. Feel good when the shot falls in your hold area and/or you called it.

3. Start pressure early, even before final settle. Practice this a lot.

4. Put the gun down at the first thought of chicken finger. Start afresh by dry firing a few times.

I've gone months and many matches without chicken finger, then, suddenly, it returns. You need to develop methods to overcome it and then use them when it reappears.

Good shooting
Fred
Mike S-J

Post by Mike S-J »

Sheeeeesh - you know, I read that pilkgun article about chicken finger about a year ago and it didn't register - I guess I didn't understand back then!

I shoot three times a week for 2 hours a session (that includes a stretch, 20 blank cards, 2x 10 shots in 30 mins, then I shoot whatever competition cards are waiting (this can range from 2x5 shots to 10x4 shots) and then a blank card - maybe that is not enough. i tend to do dry-firing when I have a spare 30mins at home. Maybe I need to put some more time aside for dry fire practice?

Its actually very comforting to know this is not a unique symptom. Great advice guys - Thanks.

Weds. is a NEW training day...
2650 Plus

Chicken trigger finger

Post by 2650 Plus »

I apply heavy pressure to the trigger before I load for the shot. Next , with the pistol up in firing position I move the trigger finger in a back and forth pulsing to relax it and prepare for the shot. Be careful and only apply enough pressure to reach the second stage. I hope that this will suffice for you as it is very effective for me. Good luck, Good Shooting , Bill Horton
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Mike S-J wrote:Sheeeeesh - you know, I read that pilkgun article about chicken finger about a year ago and it didn't register - I guess I didn't understand back then!

I shoot three times a week for 2 hours a session (that includes a stretch, 20 blank cards, 2x 10 shots in 30 mins, then I shoot whatever competition cards are waiting (this can range from 2x5 shots to 10x4 shots) and then a blank card - maybe that is not enough. i tend to do dry-firing when I have a spare 30mins at home. Maybe I need to put some more time aside for dry fire practice?

Its actually very comforting to know this is not a unique symptom. Great advice guys - Thanks.

Weds. is a NEW training day...
I've found that out about a lot of stuff, you read it and think you understand it, go on to something else, then something else and then you go back and revisit the first thing and it makes even more sense now and you understand it differently.
edster99

Re: Trigger control under stress

Post by edster99 »

Mike S-J wrote:Hi guys 'n gals,

A quick 'coaching' question with an explanatory preamble.

Preamble:
I have been shooting 10m AP for 2 yrs now, so have seen a number of changes in my shooting ability and style. I have had several epiphanies and now find myself in a situation where, when I start a competition I have no "physical" nerves - i.e I am not shaking like a wet monkey.
A perfect description of me - what did you do to overcome the wet monkey???

cheers

Ed
Mike S-J

Post by Mike S-J »

At that time I had a regular coach and he suggested that I change my routine in the club. I always have a set of match cards to shoot - pretty much every week - and I used to shoot them after settling in and feeling comfortable (i.e. usually after shooting for about an hour). Even then they were scary and I often had the shakes. I was advised to come in, do my stretches, do some sighters and go straight into the cards. Sure, my scores would drop at first, but the idea was that I would be exposed to "competition-style" jitters every week.

It took about two months for a noticeable diference, and now, almost 10 months on I can shoot my competition cards as well as I can shoot my practice sessions.

Unfortunately this lulled me into a false sense of security, which was only increased when I stepped up to the line on Sunday feeling relaxed and calm. My first two sighters were overlapping bulls - HA! HA! I said to myself, sent out my competition card and everything went pear-shaped from there.
crosshairs

Post by crosshairs »

1)FOAM EAR PLUGS.
2)Don't talk to anyone. Unless absolutely necessary. That includes your friends. You will appear unfriendly and aloof.
3)Don't look anyone in the eyes. Very important.
4)Think of a tune you like, play it over and over again in your head. Yes, if it helps you should do it while you are shooting.
5)Don't know what to look at when taking a break? Look at the clock.

These are not really shooting techniques, rather they are what I use to create an illusion of being the only living soul in the range.

The rest is up to you.
crosshairs

Post by crosshairs »

You know, after reading your post again, I realised that I may not have given you the right tips. Your problem is not anxiety. Your problem is that you are a competition perfectionist. Your tolerance for error seemed to have reduced without you being conscious of it.

I think for now, you need to tell yourself it is alright to shoot 9. Aim for 9 instead of 10, see what happens.

Do tell me if I am wrong.
edster99

Post by edster99 »

Interesting thoughts. I've only been shooting about 3 months - whilst i'm near 550 in the range, I think experience of shooting more match cards is going to help. I've got a reasonable number of real cards to shoot, I guess I'll just take the approach of : 'tough s*** if the team score is poor for a while' as hopefully they'll get better quicker. And yes. Don't obsess about the score.

cheers

Ed
CR10X

Post by CR10X »

Ok, you're not going to believe this, but it comes from a very good conventional pistol shooter.

On your next trip to the range, for every shot, try to press (operate, process, whatever you like to call it) the trigger as slow as possible.

You are required to keep it moving, but as slowly as you possibly can, and you must focus on the front sight. This works best on a blank target, but it really doesn't matter that much.

I will not discuss the whys, wherefores or opinions on what happens or the object. You must complete this exercise several times in successive training sessions. It might take a while to shoot 10 shots, but don't worry, just go as SLOW as possible.

At your next match, just shoot "normally".

Then, if you would, please let me know your impressions, feelings and / or results at the next match.

Thanks

Cecil
donthc

Post by donthc »

mike, i have the same problem as you. I assure you that this is quite common.

i have once in a competition, after a smooth sighting shots series, took almost half an hour to fire off the first shot. talk about agonizing.

lately, i think i have sort of work out this problem of mine, after so many months.

maybe you should try fideling with the trigger of yours.

for me, i shift the trigger shoe all the way out to the end of the groove. Reduce first stage travel, increased my first pressure.

and i speed up my pace tremendously. i now took 40-50mins to fire 80 shots. shooting faster allows you to not get distracted easily by any ongoing activities i.e. someone beside you pulling back the targetl.

focus on the front sight. once the aligned sight picture reaches the aiming area, pull the trigger.

ask yourself to focus on this 3 point. raise, aim, pull. the shot should be ok, depending on your fundamentals.
donthc

Post by donthc »

i have once in a competition, after a smooth sighting shots series, took almost half an hour to fire off the first shot. talk about agonizing.

lately, i think i have sort of work out this problem of mine, after so many months.

for me, i shift the trigger shoe all the way out to the end of the groove. Reduce first stage travel, increased my first pressure.

and i speed up my pace tremendously. i now took 40-50mins to fire 80 shots. shooting faster allows you to not get distracted easily by any ongoing activities i.e. someone beside you pulling back the targetl.

focus on the front sight. once the aligned sight picture reaches the aiming area, pull the trigger.

ask yourself to focus on this 3 point. raise, aim, pull. the shot should be ok, depending on your fundamentals.
donthc

Post by donthc »

Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I've found treating every shot the same has helped. There are no unimportant shots all shots are equal. Sighters are just as important as match shots which are just as important as shots in practice. "EVERY SHOT MATTERS".
.donthc

Post by .donthc »

crosshairs wrote:1)FOAM EAR PLUGS.
2)Don't talk to anyone. Unless absolutely necessary. That includes your friends. You will appear unfriendly and aloof.
3)Don't look anyone in the eyes. Very important.
4)Think of a tune you like, play it over and over again in your head. Yes, if it helps you should do it while you are shooting.
5)Don't know what to look at when taking a break? Look at the clock.

These are not really shooting techniques, rather they are what I use to create an illusion of being the only living soul in the range.

The rest is up to you.
this is what i always do. it really helps. but remember, do not forget the tune.