Hammerli 208S Doubled

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
shadow

Hammerli 208S Doubled

Post by shadow »

Good Morning,

I shot my Hammerli 208S in League competition (Conventional Bullseye) on Tuesday night. I used Eley Turquise Box. Towards the end of the match (Rapid fire) I was forced to use Federal 711 - not 711B - the basic standard velocity ammo. The 1st five shots were fine but the gun "doubled" once during the next 5 shot string. This has never happened to me. I have probably had 10 alibis with it in the nine years that I owned it. The next day I went back and tried it with the Eley again ant there was no problem.

The repair history on the gun has includes: the firing pin has been replaced twice the recoil spring has been replaced a few times - most recently a few months ago, and the gun was serviced by Larry's about 2 years ago with no parts replaced.

Is it possible that the ammo alone caused this problem or could this be a sign of some knid of problem?

Susan
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Well, since I get about 2 failure to fire per box on any of the Federal 711, I suppose on the average with your doubling the ammo is completely reliable!

Steve

(OBTW I shoot Federal Gold Medal Match all day long in my CM 84E- the accuracy is great and I nver have any problems. In my 208s however . . . )
shadow

Hammerli Doubled

Post by shadow »

For what is is worth, this is the only time that I have ever shot Federal "Basic" in my Hammerli. I gave the balance of the box to another shooter when I left.
Scott H.

Post by Scott H. »

If by "double" you mean that the gun unexpectedly fired two shots with one pull of the trigger:

In my experience, when that happens, it's time to adjust the sear, to give it a little more sear engagement. Or, maybe, be more diligent about fully releasing the trigger between shots. (The return of the slide gives the trigger just enough push into my finger to set the "double" off.) But, when my trigger is light enough for me to have to worry about doubling, it's time to make some adjustments.
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

I'd take a close look at the cutout in the slide where the rim of the case sits. The 208s slide will peen that area slightly closed over time. My symptom of this trouble was the round was being held lower than it was supposed to sit and therefore the extractor wouldn't hang on long enough. I had no doubling, but never used that Federal ammo. IIRC, that's the same ammo that showed slam firing in the IZH-35s that needed more headspace. Possibly the reduced headspace in the 208s from peening will produce doubling in the 208s as well.

Take Care,
Ed Hall
U.S. Air Force Competitive Shooting Teams
Bullseye (and International) CompetitionThings