.32 S&W Long - Lapua vs Fiocchi?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Mike M.

.32 S&W Long - Lapua vs Fiocchi?

Post by Mike M. »

I'm running low on Lapua 98gr wadcutters, and finding more is problematic...nobody seems to have any in stock. Fiocchi, on the other hand, is both available and half the price. What has people's experience been with the two? Thanks.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Not really comparable, in my experience. Lapua clocks way faster than the Fiocchi, which is one of the softest factory .32 loads I know. I used to shoot Fiocchi until I started to reload, it's not bad, at least in Italian pistols. I never liked the Lapua, way too much bang and wear and tear, but then, I only shoot the 25m CF match with the .32 and never had to worry about 50m precision. I've heard people using 280 and SP20 and such complain about the Fiocchi, though, not enough recoil to cycle reliably. And, as a reloader, I have to mention that the cases are worth nothing - seen so many case ruptures after 2-3 reloads, it's unbelievable... Something I liked to shoot when it was available was Magtech - Brasilian stuff, I think, even cheaper than the Fiocchi, but worked and shot perfectly well in my Italian pistols.
Mellberg

Post by Mellberg »

In my 280 factory Sellier & Bellot and Fiocchi cartridges will hardly group within 30cm at 25 meters. Fiocchi does not recoil enough.

All other ammo that i've tried (Norma, Lapua, Magtech, Federal etc) works fine and faster bullets tend to group better. Norma, Lapua and my own reloads works best.

I would not recommend Fiocchi .32 to anyone that want's to hit a target more than 5 meters away.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

Hmm....

I'm shooting a Hammerli 280, and frankly, the Lapua has NOT shot well at 50 yards. Not at all. Quite aside from the charming habit of throwing the first shot from each magazine high at 25m.

To be honest, my first preference would be GECO, but I can't get any of it. I'm running low on Lapua. I did have 100 rounds of Magtech...and might go ahead and buy some more. It's a little more expensive than the Fiocchi, but nowhere near the backbreaking expense of Lapua, and the ammo I did have shot reasonably well.
Mellberg

Post by Mellberg »

Ah GECO! Awesome quality! I really liked those little buggers, they were a joy to shoot. Where did they go?
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Dynamit Nobel was bought up by RUAG, so all GECO ammo stays in Switzerland now :-D
Mellberg

Post by Mellberg »

Gnaaah! I hate you guys so much right now! =D

If I knew that last summer I would have bought a nice batch of GECO ammo when I was at the EC in Bern.

Paddy Gloor and the other swiss shooters seem to prefer Lapua however?
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Hey, one has to use all means available to keep the competition at bay :-D

I really don't know what they're using right now, some years ago it was Hirtenberger, and then they switched to Geco. Possible that it's Lapua now, but I stopped following that when I got my reloading together and had enough cases to use - and those are mostly from the Hirtenberger era. Personally, I use a Hirtenberger clone for the Hammerlis, or a softer, near-Fiocchi ammo for the Italian guns. The Lapua I rememeber was way too fast for my pistols, but perhaps they changed that as well. Would be nice to have some more Geco cases and boxes though, both things of exceptional quality. Now that prices for the .22 are climbing like an elevator, my .32 will shortly be the cheapest way to practice :-)
Alex L

32 S&W Long...

Post by Alex L »

Hi, Mark,
The problem with projectiles is very common, as you have 3 sizes - 312, 313, & 314. Some other guns may even have different sizes again.

I have a Walther GSP that takes 312 projectiles. I cast my own hollow based ones. I have been doing this for the last 30 years.
With factory loads with Fiorcchi or Lapua, you have to specify the size you want. You may be lucky and get a supply of the correct size.

I know that here in Oz most competitors use Taipan or Bullzi projectiles, which are quite satifactory for 25 metres.

However, if you are shooting at 50 metres you may not want hollow based projectiles, as you need to up the powder load, which will cause the cases to be damaged. Lapua brass is very soft, Grecko cases are much harder, or if you can get Winchester cases they are even better.

If you are buying commercially made projectiles, and you do your own loading, check your barrel size, which will help to get better accuracy.

I don't know what country you live in, but I know in Europe it is easier to obtain Factory Loads, or some Clubs have supplies.

For 25 metre shooting Lapua was 710 ft/second when we tested a load recently with my Walther GSP.

Good luck with this,. Let us know how you go.
Regards, Alex L. in sunny Melbourne.