AP grip (how tight)

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Stu

AP grip (how tight)

Post by Stu »

I'm just starting out in AP. My backround is NRA 3 gun bulls eye.
My grip has always been as tight as my strength allowed without shake or disturbing sight alignment or trigger pull. Is the same true for AP?

thanks,

Stu
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I would say less tight than that would be better, they say like a firm handshake.

Rob.
Lanning R. Hochhauser

Post by Lanning R. Hochhauser »

Think of shaking hands with a six year old child. The hold should be firm enough to show sincerity but not overpowering.

The pistol is really cantilevered between the heel of your hand and your middle finger. The grip of the fingers should be progressively less as you move from the middle finger to your pinky.

Just tight enough to keep a steady sight picture. Remember you do not have to control recoil.
Lanning Hochhauser
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Good comments from all so far.

One way to look at it:

Strong enough that you have perfect trigger control, but light enough that you don't experience fatigue. With a 500 gram trigger, this should be a "Ginormous" range of appropriate pressures.

Pick the amount of pressure within that range that works for you.

Steve

(This method is biased to the "soft" end. The alternative- squeeze until you shake and then back off a bit- is biased to the "firm" end. The "softer" bias has advantages in International disciplines, the "firmer" bias has advantages for center fire disciplines. You will find many world class shooters though who bias to the "firmer" end even in FP and FP. That's why there generally isn't one "right" answer other than whatever is best in terms of TRIGGER and SIGHTS!)
2650 Plus

The grip

Post by 2650 Plus »

The grip has to provide five functions . I believe the first and most important is natural sight allignment when the pistol is raised to the line of vision to the target aiming area. Next in importance is for the grip to allow the trigger finger to apply steadily increasing pressure on the trigger without causing misallignment ti the sights. This must produce the surprise shot that allows the bullet to clear the barrel before any reaction to the firing can occur. Now we get to the area where compremise occures. How tight is the grip? Tight enough to prevent any shifting of the pistol due to the recoil of firing.Loose enough to permit the trigger finger to apply its pressure perfectly. About not gripping with the little finger. IMHO if I had six fingers , I would grip with all of them as little fingers do not cause low shots, changing the gripping tensions while moving the trigger finger does. The important thing about the grip is once you perfect it you should never change it again without a clear and vital reason.Consistancey is the fourth requirment. Last and least important is that while it is doing the first four it is nice if it is comfortable. This allows you to complete a long match without excessive fatigue. And I do not dissagre with Steve this time. Good Shooting Bill Horton
2650 Plus

The grip

Post by 2650 Plus »

The grip has to provide five functions . I believe the first and most important is natural sight allignment when the pistol is raised to the line of vision to the target aiming area. Next in importance is for the grip to allow the trigger finger to apply steadily increasing pressure on the trigger without causing misallignment ti the sights. This must produce the surprise shot that allows the bullet to clear the barrel before any reaction to the firing can occur. Now we get to the area where compremise occures. How tight is the grip? Tight enough to prevent any shifting of the pistol due to the recoil of firing.Loose enough to permit the trigger finger to apply its pressure perfectly. About not gripping with the little finger. IMHO if I had six fingers , I would grip with all of them as little fingers do not cause low shots, changing the gripping tensions while moving the trigger finger does. The important thing about the grip is once you perfect it you should never change it again without a clear and vital reason.Consistancey is the fourth requirment. Last and least important is that while it is doing the first four it is nice if it is comfortable. This allows you to complete a long match without excessive fatigue. And I do not dissagre with Steve this time. Good Shooting Bill Horton
Stu

Grip

Post by Stu »

Thanks for the information. This was exactly what I was
after and I will start working on my grip.

Stu
2650 Plus

Grip

Post by 2650 Plus »

Stu, I really am not trying to tell you how to grip the pistol, However I can tell you how I go about the task. I am right handed so I pick up my pistol and grip the barrel with my left hand just forward of the trigger guard. I form a V between my thumb and forefinger and carefully position the pistol in my shooting hand . I then tighten the grip until I feel that I have gained control of the pistol and begin trying to establish the proper position of my trigger finger. Next the shooting arm is extended the triceps are lightly tensed to stabilize the elbow joint and the wrist is stiffened . With the arm extended the trigger finger is flexed several times to insure that it is relaxed enough to apply the steadily increasing presure newcessary to cause the pistol to fire without disturbing sight allignment. Now I close my eyes and raise the pistol to my aiming area on the target. When I open my eyes I must see properly alligned sighta without any changes in where I am pointing the pistol . This did not happen for the first several thousand times when I first began this process but as I kept adjusting the grip it finally began to work. Don't become discouraged and keep refining the grip until it does what we have been discussing Good Shooting Bill Horton
Stu

Grip

Post by Stu »

Thanks Bill. Exactly the way (more or less) I have been fitting a pistol to my hand. It occurred to me that with the grip angle and lack of recoil, some modification would be required from the NRA near death grip used with service loads in a leg match. I thought perhaps I could relax a tad! Seems that is the case. I don't even
have my gun yet, expecting it in the next few weeks. I am really glad to have found this list and a place to ask all those newbie questions. Again, thanks for your time.
Stu