chronograph

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
10 METER

chronograph

Post by 10 METER »

I borrowed a chrono
My question is how far from the muzzle should I set it up.
What is the ideal distance to chronograph air pistol.
thanks
David M

set up

Post by David M »

Set it up the same as if you were live firing 2-3m (6-10 ft).
Matt

Re: chronograph

Post by Matt »

The best advice is to follow the directions provided by the manufacturer. Contact the manufacturer for the directions if you don't have them. It's much better to obtain true data then to have erroneous data. Each manufacturer has their own particular setup specifications.

Matt

10 METER wrote:I borrowed a chrono
My question is how far from the muzzle should I set it up.
What is the ideal distance to chronograph air pistol.
thanks
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Lets try some logic here.

You're measuring the speed of the projectile, how much do you think it changes from the muzzle over the course of 10 m's?

Post by Guest »

Richard,

You should always 'listen' to what you type before you post. Your sarcasm does not in any way help the individual who is seeking scientific information.

Richard H wrote:Lets try some logic here.

You're measuring the speed of the projectile, how much do you think it changes from the muzzle over the course of 10 m's?
Tony C.

Post by Tony C. »

Airguns, unlike firearms, don't have muzzle blast, so you can setup your AP or AR as close to the chrono as you like. I typically set it a few inches away from the screens, if you wants to measure muzzle velocity, or whatever distance away if you wants to know downrange vel. just be careful and don't shoot the chrono ! Seen that happen.

Another point is, because you are measuring vel. of airguns, usually only a few hunderd ft/sec. so be sure your shots thru the screens are parallel to the axis. in other words if the pellets enter and exit the screens at an angle, you will get a lower vel. reading due to the fact the pellet have to travel a longer distance. I always aim the gun at a target when doing chrono check, so I know the pellets going thru the screens is following the same path.

A chrono is almost a must have for airgun shooter, one can experiment with different pellet weight; seating dept; brand or size of pellets to find out which one shoot most consistant...etc. Lots of fun for inquesitive minded airgunners.

Tony