shooting posture

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
~CRAICHE VOLI~

shooting posture

Post by ~CRAICHE VOLI~ »

i would like to gather public opinion about shooting posture. many ppl have commented on my posture as it is very crooked. my feet, hand, and even gun r tilted.

hence indirectly, it is the crooked-ness of my body that actually determines the position of my shot. there have been cases when the 'feel' is good but the shot turns out to be a 5. -.-

hence i would like ideas for a good posture and make me go beyond a pb of 536
TS

Post by TS »

Hi Craiche Voli,

i'm not much of a pistol shooter but i believe posture is pretty much an individual thing, as long as you feel comfortable and not out of balance it should be ok. I would say the best is to try out for yourself variations in posture and evaluate your performance.

However, if your sight alignment and sight picture are good with proper trigger release, you should get decent shots if your pistol is zeroed and assuming no malfunctions. I'm thinking your unexpected bad shots could be due to variation in cant angle, since you mention your gun is tilted, so do make sure to keep the angle of cant constant if you have to cant. Perhaps you can make a marking on your sights to help maintain your angle.
jackh

Post by jackh »

Unless there is a physical or medical reason for position alternatives, or something that is studiously arrived at, the classic , simplistic stance is probably best. Also best is to fully understand fundamentals first.
Lanning R. Hochhauser

Post by Lanning R. Hochhauser »

I would think a comfortable position in which the fewest number of muscles have to be coordinated to hold the position. An example would be to stand without a target and with you eyes closed, raise your pistol to what feels like a comfortable position. I feel the whole shooting position should be set up this way one component at a time until you have a good position.
Fozzy357

Post by Fozzy357 »

I gotta agree with Lanning. Just close your eyes and raise, move your stance til the "blind" raise rests on the target. Your non gun hand should NOT be in your back. This causes twisting in your spine. Just put your non gun hand where it feel right, belt, pocket etc.

[quote][/quote]
Lanning R. Hochhauser

Post by Lanning R. Hochhauser »

Think of that old kids game where a friend holds your hands at your sides while you try to raise them straight out from your body. When you friend finally lets go of your arms they will seem to rise of their own accord. They will not be pointed straight to the side or straight to the front.
Lanning