Have you tried shooting a big competition without a scope?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Mellberg

Have you tried shooting a big competition without a scope?

Post by Mellberg »

I was in Bern shooting the European Cup Centerfire pistol. In the invitation it said that Sius-targets would be used so I didn't bring a scope. Well... no Sius! So I had to shoot without a scope and relying on only on self confidence and the feeling of doing it right.
During the sighting serie I shot the first 4 shots in the 4/3p ring because I forgot to change the sights from rapid to precision, hehe. But the fifth shot was a clean ten (10,7 or 10,8). Then there I was. A pistol, and a target. No way of seeing what was going on, I had to rely on instinct and basics. And it turned out pretty well. 290 is a good score. Could be more, but 290 is fine.

The main differences between this way and when I have a scope is that I almost always finished within 3 minutes (fast) and the groupings was mostly very very tight. Normally I get slight larger groupings but I can always correct myself if I for example start with two tens to the right and change my grip to shoot in the middle.

Has anyone else tried this on a big competition?
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Whilst I didn't shoot quite as well as you in Bern (well loads worse TBH), I did stop using my scope. One of the things I struggled with was nerves, so I reasoned if I didn't know the score outcome, I couldn't get excited / distracted by it. That aspect certainly worked for me in so far as I concentrated on the technique.

I have to say that I don't normally suffer with nerves so when I shoot 25M air gun events I always use the scope, but I still may not scope every single shot.

Rob.
Mellberg

Post by Mellberg »

Do you shoot air pistol on 25 meter?
_Axel_

Post by _Axel_ »

That was my reaction too, but i know its not impossible. Ive done it too, the BC of domed pellets helpes alot!
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Mellberg wrote:Do you shoot air pistol on 25 meter?
Here in the UK we shoot the whole range of ISSF 25m events with air pistols, without any problems.
_Axel_

Post by _Axel_ »

indoors? normal wadcutter pellets? 6ft/Lbs?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

_Axel_ wrote:indoors? normal wadcutter pellets? 6ft/Lbs?
Outdoors, normal match wadcutters, 6ft lb, mainly LP5/50s. 100s are no problem (in the right hands).

The score you would expect for Standard Pistol is approximately 10 points more than you would expect with a .22 (although for some people the different technique required gives +/- on that).

We've been doing it for 10 years.
Mellberg

Post by Mellberg »

Cool
_Axel_

Post by _Axel_ »

hard for me to belive that wadcutters at that distance outdoors, works well!!? :)
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

_Axel_ wrote:hard for me to belive that wadcutters at that distance outdoors, works well!!? :)
Wadcutters are fine at 25M. We've just had our "BPC" championships http://www.britishpistolclub.org/ so you'll see a range of scores. If my memory serves me right, as an example, the top score in (air) sport pistol was 587 x 600 so the technical accuracy isn't an issue.

Rob.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

RobStubbs wrote:
_Axel_ wrote:hard for me to belive that wadcutters at that distance outdoors, works well!!? :)
Wadcutters are fine at 25M. We've just had our "BPC" championships http://www.britishpistolclub.org/ so you'll see a range of scores. If my memory serves me right, as an example, the top score in (air) sport pistol was 587 x 600 so the technical accuracy isn't an issue.
Nothing wrong with your memory Rob. Also, top score in Standard Pistol (Air) was 576.
kiko

Post by kiko »

Well guys, after reading that the European guys use their air pistols at 25 meters I decided to give it a try. My question was, is it possible for a 4.5 mm pellet to reach that distance???
Put 8 inch black ( from free pistol) target at 25 meters and made 10 shots out of my Wal Mart Crossman co2 revolver. After some sightings and elevations I had to go for a center hold, well, black sights over black target. results: 10 shots offhand succesive shots without lowering the gun, and I was able to put all 10 shots inside the 8-9 ring. I was to say the least: Amazed. K.
_Axel_

Post by _Axel_ »

kiko wrote:Well guys, after reading that the European guys use their air pistols at 25 meters .
British specifically...most of EU allows pistol ownership still.