wad and ball gun

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jjjjjjj

wad and ball gun

Post by jjjjjjj »

can I shoot ball amo inside a wad gun if i changed out the soft wad spring for a heavy ball spring?

Jay
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

I suppose you can do anything in Rapid Fire Pistol if the projectile is lead - or are you asking about some other ISSF event?

Spencer
GOVTMODEL

Re: wad and ball gun

Post by GOVTMODEL »

jjjjjjj wrote:can I shoot ball amo (sic) inside a wad gun if i changed out the soft wad spring for a heavy ball spring?

Jay
Yes.

Post by Guest »

trigger weight for a wadgun is 3.5 pounds, Ballgun-4.0pounds
jjjj

wad amo in ball gun

Post by jjjj »

it is for 1911 45 ACP
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Anonymous wrote:trigger weight for a wadgun is 3.5 pounds, Ballgun-4.0pounds
Guest is referring to NRA (Bullseye) Pistol rule 3.1.(2) which states that in a match requiring a Service Pistol and ball ammo, trigger pull must be at least 4 lb.
For a .45 cal pistol used in a centerfire match or in .45 cal match, a minimun trigger pull of 3.5 lb is required (Sec 3.2 & 3.3).

For general shooting with a gun built for shooting target load semi wadcutters, just put in a heavier (16-18 lb) recoil spring to prevent damage to the gun. A 3.5 lb trigger is perfectly safe with ball ammo, in fact IPSC guns built for ball and heavier loads often have trigger pulls well below 3.5 lb.
2650 Plus

WC and Ball

Post by 2650 Plus »

Ask your gunsmith if he tested with ball. Many WC guns just dont handle both with the same accuracy,although most ball guns generally shoot wad cutters quite accurately,altho functioning may prove to be a problem. Other than that, What Fred said. Good shooting Bill Horton
dhurt

Post by dhurt »

Hi Jay, Don't to forget to tune your air and free pistols to the same weight as your wad gun, I need all the margin I can muster at Nationals! See you at Benning. Dwaine.
2650 Plus

Wad vs Ball

Post by 2650 Plus »

Try to minimise the wise cracks. When you get to Benning a ball shooter may be your toughest competition. Remember fundamentals change very little or not at all in most of the pistol disciplines. The difference is in training where you build your technique to deal with specifics of your interest. Good shooting Bill Horton
EdStevens

Post by EdStevens »

Spring weight to use is going to vary depending on whether iron sights or a red dot mounted on the slide is used, correct? If a red dot, spring weights needed will be less/lighter than for iron sights, although in either case a heavier spring will be needed for ball ammo.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

EdStevens wrote:Spring weight to use is going to vary depending on whether iron sights or a red dot mounted on the slide is used, correct? If a red dot, spring weights needed will be less/lighter than for iron sights, although in either case a heavier spring will be needed for ball ammo.
I just assumed that if he was going to be shooting ball ammo he would be using irons, but yes you are right.