Perforated barrels and compensators for free pisol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
JulianY

Perforated barrels and compensators for free pisol

Post by JulianY »

Can some one confirm that my reading of the rules is correct;

The use of perforated barrels and compensators are now restricted to only two ISSF disciplines; Air Pistol and 50M ( Free Pistol)

many thanks

Julian
Last edited by JulianY on Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Compensators, muzzle brakes, perforated barrels or any device(s) functioning in a similar manner are not allowed. in 8.16.0 applies to 25 M pistols only.
not mentioned in 8.20.10, so presumably OK for the 10 M 5-shot events.

could it be that for 10 M and 50 M they don't make any real (as opposed to percieved) difference?

Spencer
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Correct, if you have included the "rule 8.20" events under the Air Pistol banner.

The old Rapid-Fire (pre-2005) rules allowed compensators and ported barrels but that event is now obviously shot with Standard Pistols.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Spencer wrote: not mentioned in 8.20.10, so presumably OK for the 10 M 5-shot events.
Ported barrels and perforated barrel attachments are specifically allowed in 8.20.10
Bill A

Post by Bill A »

Julien,

Not that you asked: I think compensators on FP's are a horrible idea (they spread groups, get dirty and so on).

But what I'd like to know is--since I'm not a RF shooter--why DID they prohibit ports in RF guns, the one place they really make sense?

Bill
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Bill A wrote:why DID they prohibit ports in RF guns, the one place they really make sense?
Because they decided, rightly or wrongly, that RF should be shot with pistols conforming to the same specification as the other 25m .22 events.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Bill A wrote: Not that you asked: I think compensators on FP's are a horrible idea (they spread groups, get dirty and so on).
Depends. My compensated FP shoots 0.5" 10 shot groups at 50 yds. You are right about the cleaning.
CraigE

Is that from your hand?

Post by CraigE »

Or is it from a bench :-) l anticipate the chance to cast gaze on "Mr. Mordini"
JulianY

Post by JulianY »

David Levene wrote: Because they decided, rightly or wrongly, that RF should be shot with pistols conforming to the same specification as the other 25m .22 events.
David,

Can you elaborate on their thinking at the time.

An interesting point is what happened to records after the change? Does the first match after the change produce a new record!

JY
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

JulianY wrote:
David Levene wrote: Because they decided, rightly or wrongly, that RF should be shot with pistols conforming to the same specification as the other 25m .22 events.
Can you elaborate on their thinking at the time.

An interesting point is what happened to records after the change? Does the first match after the change produce a new record!
It would be a very brave man who could guess what the ISSF were thinking at any time ;-) The grapevine was talking about making the event more accessable to more shooters who already owned Standard Pistols. They could already shoot the event with those pistols but were at a perceived disadvantage, even at club level. You could argue whether they have achieved a "level playing field" and whether that has or will increase the number of RF shooters but the fact remains that RF as an Olympic event is still under threat because of the small number of participants worldwide.

Yes, the first qualifying match after the new rules were introduced produced a new World Record. If you look at the ISSF's Records page you will see that there isn't a listed Olympic Record for RF, there hasn't been an Olympics under the new rules.
JulianY

Post by JulianY »

David Levene wrote: the fact remains that RF as an Olympic event is still under threat because of the small number of participants worldwide.
You could solve that problem in one go. Lower the MSQ

I happen to know there are people (you know them too) that would love to enter.

JY
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

JulianY wrote:
David Levene wrote: the fact remains that RF as an Olympic event is still under threat because of the small number of participants worldwide.
You could solve that problem in one go. Lower the MSQ
The problem isn't at National Squad or International level, it's at grass roots club level. There will always be enough shooters for the very top level of competition.

By "MSQ" I presume you are either referring to GB's "MCS" (minimum consideration score) for team selection or the ISSF's "MQS" (minimum qualification score" for eligability to shoot in the Olympics (subject to quota places).

If the former (MCS) then it is basesd on the average score required, during the current Olympic cycle, to place in the top 20 at World Cups, World Championships and European Championships. If a shooter is unable to achieve that score at least once then should they really be considered good enough for a national team?

If the latter (MQS) then I do not see the score level as putting people off. There are only 17 RF quota places available, they are much harder to win than the MQS is to achieve.