Target Monitor

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
philipnow

Target Monitor

Post by philipnow »

I've been having trouble clearly seeing the holes in the target, so I've been looking into potential solutions. My makeshift garage "range" doesn't readily lend itself to a target changer setup. I thought about getting a target scope. Is that what most people use? Then I thought about using some sort of camera and monitor to better visualize the target after shooting.

I tried an inexpensive security camera, but it didn't have a zoom lens so it had to be too close to the target and was thus distracting. Then I tried an old camcorder I had lying around with an 15 inch LCD TV I was able to pick up at Best Buy "open-box" for $90. This works great. The holes are very clearly resolved. I'm still not sure where to eventually put the monitor. It works well where I'm testing it, about two thirds of the way to the target, just off line to the right (see photo), but I'm afraid that some day I'll get distracted and shoot the TV and not the target!

Although this setup works great at visualizing the target, what does everyone think about how this might affect me if/when I go to shoot at a match where there are target changers, etc.

Thanks,
Philip
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Nice looking setup. I have thought about going the electronics route, but continue with my spotting scope, which is more than adequate. I only use the scope when, as part of my training, I want to check whether I called the shot correctly. A quick look throught the scope suffices. Other than that, I try not to look through the scope at all. I find it distracting and makes me think about the shot already fired, rather than on the process for the upcoming shot.
As for whether it affects shooting under match conditions, the only answer to that is to shoot a lot of matches :-)
Mellberg

Post by Mellberg »

I think it's great! Now you can see where all your shots land, just like a sius-ascor or megalink monitor.

However, use it wisely! Put the monitor a little aside so that you don't have it in front of you. Place it so that you have to look to the side to see it. Then after each shot you should analyze where it landed. "Hmm it felt like a nine at eleven 'o clock. Then look at the monitor. Is a nine at eleven 'o clock? Yup, that's like a 9,8 or 9,7. Perfect, you're getting a feeling for each shot!

If you want to do this hardcore you buy a cheap lightweight laserpointer and put it on your gun. Adjust it so that you can't see the dot on the target while aiming, it will distract you. Put the dot somewhere low, it doesn't have to be in the bullethole. Voila! Now you can really do some analysing.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

It looks like a great solution.

One tip, make sure that you follow through correctly. There will be a tendancy, as with Sius Ascor and similar systems, to try to see the hole too quickly. I have even seen shooters looking at the monitor before the shot has gone.
philipnow

Post by philipnow »

Thanks for the feedback!

Fred, I agree it could be a distraction. Maybe I'll just use it for training, then turn it off for my postal matches.

Mellberg, that's a neat idea, to attach a laser to the pistol. I hadn't even thought about the recording option. I've just been using it without a tape. Like you said, the laser wouldn't have to be pointing exactly where the pistol was aiming. It could even be parallel, aimed at a duplicate target below the actual target, and the camcorder could be zoomed out a little to record both targets at the same time. The way I shoot, though, I'd probably get dizzy watching the tracings!

David, good point about follow-through. I have had to concentrate on the target and avoid the temptation to look at the monitor. I'll probably end up running some cable and putting the monitor adjacent to me, so it won't be in my peripheral vision while shooting.

Philip