Marvel 22 Conversion for the 1911 and clones

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Do you own a Marvel 22 conversion?

Poll ended at Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:59 pm

YES
46%
NO
54%
Don't know what it is
No votes

Total votes: 28

tleddy

Post by tleddy »

When shooting NRA courses I use a Marvel conversion (both with iron sights and a red dot), as do a great many other shooters. I think that it meets the ISSF requirements for the 22 disciplines. I am going to attempt a Poll to see how many on the forum use the Marvel.

We might be able to attract more shooters to ISSF that way.
JulianY

Post by JulianY »

Whats the trigger pressure like on a 1911 how far away from the 1000g is it?

JY
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

JulianY wrote:Whats the trigger pressure like on a 1911 how far away from the 1000g is it?

JY
Usually anywhere from 3.5 pounds to 5 pounds, so it definately meets the ISSF trigger weight restrictions
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Richard H wrote:
JulianY wrote:Whats the trigger pressure like on a 1911 how far away from the 1000g is it?

JY
Usually anywhere from 3.5 pounds to 5 pounds, so it definately meets the ISSF trigger weight restrictions
Some shooters have their Marvel unit on a dedicated frame, for 22 only. This has advantage of allowing a lighter (2.5lb) trigger, but the disadvantage of using a gun with a different trigger feel for the 22 stage. In any case, it still meets the 1000gm ISSF requirement
jackh

Post by jackh »

Having a Marvel mounted on it's own frame which was made by one of our top bullseye smiths, and having a fine 208s, makes for quite a debate when I am choosing one for the bullseye match. Both are equally capable.
JulianY

Post by JulianY »

Fred Mannis and others wrote: it still meets the 1000gm ISSF requirement
Ok I am going to stick my neck out hear a bit, but it's not conforming to the rule that I am thinking. As I see it lighter trigger's cause l ess disturbance, so my concern was could a 1911 be "trigger competitive"

iv have to say that the picture of the test targets on the website appear very competitive, if that degree is possible single handed and not bench rested.

Julian
Me

Post by Me »

I know IPSC shooters who have triggers down to 1.5-2.0 pounds, so 1000g is definitely doable. However, you won't have the adjustability for things like length of pull or two stages that you might have on a Pardini or other high end .22 sport pistol.
Slinger

Post by Slinger »

I own 4 Marvels if that is any indication to the fact that I like them. If you have a GOOD lower, a Marvel can't be beat. Like any other .22 they can be ammo finicky. The test badges from Marvel will prove just what the units can do. If you so desire you may wait for a "small " test badge ,,,for an upgraded price of course. They get a thumbs up from me.
dhurt

Post by dhurt »

I know the Marvels will shoot with anything and I have seen some great shooting from bullseye guys, but I personaly don't care for the 1911 grip angle. I don't think a bullseye shooter would be overly handicapped by shooting a Marvel, and I would love to see some bullseye shooters join the ranks, though I will not likely be shooting a marvel beside them. Cheers to all of us shooters!
tenex

Post by tenex »

I have a Marvel that I've been fooling with just for fun. My concern is that I won't be able to get the trigger down to a competitive weight. I've currently got it down to 3 pounds or so, and my slow fire scores are almost as good as I shoot with my my Pardini. I've got it on a dedicated Springfield lower, and I plan to work the trigger a little more. The nice thing about it is if you're shooting bullseye with a dot, the weight is just about right.

We'll see how it turns out when I'm done fiddling around with it.

Steve.
tleddy

Post by tleddy »

Steve-

As Guest "Me" says above, the IPSC shooters have 1911 that have safe 1.0 to 1.5 pound trigger pulls.

I own two 1911 38 Super race guns that have 1.5 # triggers that run just fine. My Giles 38 special wad gun has a legal 2.5# trigger and the dedicated lower I ust got for my Marvel feels like 2.2# or 1.0 kg - perhaps less. Have not weighed it on a set of legal weights yet.

If you check with some of the IPSC gunsmiths I am sure it can easily be done.

Tillman in Florida
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

I have my Marvel on a dedicated 1911 lframe with a trigger pull adjusted to just under 2lbs. In order to increase the upfront weight I added a steel "blooper tube" on the front end.
pilkguns traveling west

Post by pilkguns traveling west »

hmmmm, this reminds me... we have one of these Marvel conversions I took in on trade... maybe a year ago... need to find it and get it up for sale
JDF

Funny no one mentioning the Kart conversion

Post by JDF »

Wasn't the Kart 22 conversion prior to the Marvel? I had Fred built me an entire gun, frame w/conversion. It was set up with a 2 1/2 lb. trigger. In the Ransom Rest it shot 3/8" groups at 50 yds. with Eley Pistol Match. One of the few guns I never should have sold. One problem it was a little on the heavy side for some people. I never found that so, there was little differance between it and a long slide 45.
tleddy

Kart Conversion

Post by tleddy »

Yes, the Kart pre-dated Marvel by many years.

The Kart is all steel and has provision for the slide to lock back as well.

I have two Karts (one as new in the box) that I still shoot from time to time. They are, indeed, tack drivers. One of my friends, John Firley, actually shot his in free pistol matches and did amazingly well.

To the best of my knowledge the Karts have been out of production for years. I will check with the Bullseye group to see if that is correct.

Tillman
SPPcoach

Post by SPPcoach »

The trigger on our Marvel is under 2# and has a very crisp single stage trigger.
dronning

Post by dronning »

7 year old thread,

Currently the Nelson conversion "Nelson Custom Guns" is getting much attention, it is Marvel design and incorporates all the latest design changes Bob Marvel made plus the machine work is done by McMillan Machine Co.

Dave
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin