Pardini SP1 Rapid Fire velocities

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
K5Tangos

Pardini SP1 Rapid Fire velocities

Post by K5Tangos »

FWIW, I have conducted additional velocity testing with my Pardini SP1 Rapid Fire (Electronic). Sampling also indicated that the velocity differences between the SP1 electronic and SP1 New mechanical are statistically insignificant.

Rather then retype the results, I have attached an XLS file.

Enjoy.

Keith
Attachments
Pardini tests.xls
(21 KiB) Downloaded 472 times
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Good stuff. Thanks Keith
IPshooter

Good job, Keith.

Post by IPshooter »

Were they all functionally reliable?

Stan
K5Tangos

Functionality

Post by K5Tangos »

Stan,

It was about what you would expect. No problems of any kind, with the exception one one misfire of the Winchester T22 and one of the PMC. Both rounds showed evidence of a strong firing pin hit, and both shot on a second attempt. Since these are the least expensive of the bunch, I guess it's not unexpected.

On a subjective note, the PMC ammo, while having fairly good numbers on paper, gives off an inordinate amount of smoke on firing along with significant ejecta. These little burning chunks of powder are interesting to watch (like fireworks) but can be a bit distracting during strings of fire.

Thanks,

Keith
IPshooter

Post by IPshooter »

Keith,

Thanks for the additional info.

Did you test them for groups, too?

Stan
K5Tangos

Post by K5Tangos »

Stan,

I have tested for groups but it's hard without a Ransom insert that fits. It's all been off a bench rest at 50 yards with a non-magnifying red dot mounted, and my trigger finger feeling like a frozen fish stick with the nasty weather we've had. The end result is that it's mostly a pick-em situation, but FWIW:

Clearly the Lapua is top shelf, both the Pistol King and Super Club. In the next bunch, closely behind the Lapua and probably within my abiity to measure, are all the other premium brands: Eley, SK, Federal 711B and RWS. All of the above hold the X ring at 50 yards, with some 'flyers' into the 10 ring most likely caused by the frostbite in my fingers.

Bringing up the rear and relegated to short line duties are the PMC (mainly caused by the excessive fireflies) and Winchester.

On the subjective side, most of the 'standard' velocity ammo that measures in the 850-875 fps causes a slight shudder in my hand when fired. Going just above or below that velocity makes the gun 'feel' better during strings. Thus, the Super Club, RWS, and SK Special seem to be the smoothest firing without the blast of the Fed 711.

It looks like the Lapua will be my choice. My next plan is to buy a big whack of Super Club and Pistol King and shoot both to see if there is a practical difference worth the additional cost of the PK.

Hope that helped.

Keith
JulianY

Re: Pardini SP1 Rapid Fire velocities

Post by JulianY »

K5Tangos wrote:FWIW, I have conducted additional velocity testing with my Pardini SP1 Rapid Fire (Electronic). Sampling also indicated that the velocity differences between the SP1 electronic and SP1 New mechanical are statistically insignificant.

Rather then retype the results, I have attached an XLS file.

Enjoy.

Keith
I had a look at the spreadsheet , but how do you intrupret the number , what are you looking for ?

JY
K5Tangos

Post by K5Tangos »

Julian,

The numbers are velocities, listed in feet per second.

'Average' is the average velocity of the string.

'High' is the highest velocity recorded for the string, and 'Low' the lowest.

'ES' is the extreme spread of the velocities, or difference between highest and lowest shot.

'SD' is the standard deviation of the string, a statistical term used to describe how consistent the velocities were to the average. (A lower SD is more consistent.)

'Sample' is how many rounds I fired for that string.

I did the testing to determine which brands met the 250 m/s rule (about 820 feet per second) for rapid fire pistol.

Hope this clears things up a little.

Keith
IPshooter

Post by IPshooter »

Keith,

Thanks a bunch for the info. I'm not surprised Lapua came out on top for you. Based on what I hear in FP, CF and now RF, Lapua seems to always come out either at or near the top. It ain't cheap, but the best stuff rarely is.

Hope to see you at a match soon.

Stan
JulianY

Post by JulianY »

The next question I have is "How can we make velocity predictable ?"

So my guess would be to take a 500 round tub of lupa club ( cheep/not rubish) and test that for time thickness ( the only thing i can think of that is still in our control) and plot it rim thickness again velocity.

JY
IPshooter

ammo test

Post by IPshooter »

I broke in a virgin Pardini SP1 RF pistol last night (sounds nasty, huh?) using whatever ammo I could grab at the time. This was purely a function test only. No chrono and no concerns about groups.

I tested SK Standard Plus, RWS R50, Aguila SE Extra and Winchester T22 Target. I am happy to report that there were no malfunctions of any kind with any of them.

I left with two impressions: 1) the Winchester ammo is, comparatively speaking, hotter than the others with noticeably more recoil, and 2) the SP1 RF pistol is going to be tough to beat.

Stan
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

Keith,

Excellent ammunition report, any thanks. My tests late 2006 with Lapua Super Club were very positive both for function and feel; it is fortunate that this ammunition is over the velocity threshold.

Paul
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

Keith,
Do you have, or can get the use of a Ransom Rest? If so, with a little woodworking, you can test just about any pistol without a model-specific insert.
I've been using my 1911 insert, since it will take a parallel wooden rectangle, with the edges rounded to duplicate the shape of a 1911 grip frame. I made two adapters out of maple, one for my Drulov M75, and one for my Benelli MP 95/90, using ordinary woodworking tools, such as used for stock work. The grips on both these pistols are held to their frame by a drawbolt. I also made one for my TOZ, but due to the intricate clearances needed for its unusual shape, I used a piece of 3/4" thick Micarta, and did all the machining on my Bridgport. This adapter also fits my 1911 insert.

It's also possible to purchase a blank insert, and shape the cavity, but this seemed a lot more difficult to do accurately, and can't be used with a pistol that doesn't have an actual grip frame, such as the Benelli.

Paul
K5Tangos

OK, OK already...

Post by K5Tangos »

Ok, by popular (incessant) request, I plan on accuracy testing the ammo this weekend, weather permitting.

I have no reasonable way to Ransom rest the Pardini. (Paul: It's not the grip insert that is the problem. After buying two Pardinis, I can't afford a Ransom Rest to test them. :-) )

As a reasonable alternative, I have pilfered one of my trusty 7x pistol scopes from an Encore barrel and welded, duct taped, pinned, and otherwise solidly attached it to the mechanical SP1. I'm too chicken to try it with the tempermental electronic version, sorry. It's working great now and I don't want to irritate the great spirit of the electrons.

I will solidly bench rest the beast this weekend, and with the increased magnification of the scope, should get a good idea of ammo capabilities by Sunday night.

Thanks,
Keith
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

Sorry, for the double posting, first one didn't seem to take.
Paul
Last edited by pgfaini on Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

Keith, My son lives in nearby King George. He belongs to a gun club with a range. Perhaps, if you can fashion a grip adapter for your Pardini to conform to a 1911 grip frame outline, or figure out some other way to adapt it to a set of inserts, I can bring my Ransom Rest with me on my next visit, and we can get together and do some accuracy testing. Just a thought.
Paul