Walther SSP

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
V Carr

Walther SSP

Post by V Carr »

Hi, are there new opinions on the SSP? reliability, feel, etc.?

Thanks

V Carr
cdf

Post by cdf »

Try the search function , there have been quite a few posts .

Chris
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

Hi,

My SSP went back to it’s maker.
I doubt if the SSP will be the gun to choose today if you are serious about shooting.
Second generation? Maybe, it does have some merits.
For the asked price you definitely expect a better gun! It is made in Germany!
The company makes Hammerli SP20 and Walther GSP. They make a profit from these guns. Used SSP are for sales in Sweden all ready.
The SSP may come back later in a better shape. I can wait till then.

Kent
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Reinhamre wrote:My SSP went back to it’s maker.
I doubt if the SSP will be the gun to choose today if you are serious about shooting.
This is from a man who was really excited about getting his new gun, he was almost counting down in hours.

His disappointment on sending it back was obvious, probably a true measure of the gun's problems at the moment. Hopefully they will get their act together soon.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Reinhamre wrote:Hi,

The company makes Hammerli SP20 and Walther GSP. They make a profit from these guns. Used SSP are for sales in Sweden all ready.

Kent
Sorry to hear that, searched the post and didn't find anything about the problems you were having. What was the problem with the SSP? If you want feel free to pm me, I was seriously thinking about getting one in the spring.
JulianY

Post by JulianY »

Reinhamre wrote:Hi,

Kent
Kent,

Please tell us more, I for one had my eye on one of these

J
greblleM

Post by greblleM »

The SSP I tried this summer was for sale already (I bet he didn't own the gun very long). It didn't malfunktion but it threw the shells all over the place! Got one in the face...
I really don't like the feeling of the trigger. Feels like a cheap plastic piece and the trigger action is "too crispy". It feels like pushing it right into a concrete wall. There it stops. And I mean stops! If you don't have an absolutely perfekt angle of pressure you will almost sertainly have a 9 to the left (or to the right if you're lefthanded).
However it has a very nice balance and the recoil is extremely fast and light. The sights are nice too.
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Richard - stick with your trusty GSP. The SSP would be a disappointment for you. I played with Scott I's example in Edmonton this past summer and found it to be lacking in many areas, not the least of which was the bloody-awful grip, trigger that was just terrible in comparison to the MG-2 and nowhere nearly as adjustable. And, by the time you put taxes on it, the SSP costs a thousand bucks more money!!!! I really can't see any reason to buy an SSP. Sure, it would be nice to stick with a Walther, but at the moment the SSP just doesn't offer enough inducement to do so.

Yes, the GSP rules! ;-)
V Carr

Walther SSP

Post by V Carr »

Thank you all, Mark, imho nothing feels like an MG2, i sold mine because the failures to eject well, consecuently a broken bil, and finally after about 3000 rounds, a broken firing pin, but i really miss the MG

V Carr
Ned

Post by Ned »

From french shooting forum some nice pics of Walther SSP

http://www.tirmaillyforum.com/mildot/vi ... hp?t=38240
_Axel_

Post by _Axel_ »

Seen at the bolt in a picture, would be very worried about cracks on the firing pin side!

This gun seems overly complicated, with no benefits!
JulianY

Post by JulianY »

_Axel_ wrote:Seen at the bolt in a picture, would be very worried about cracks on the firing pin side!

Please explain?
_Axel_

Post by _Axel_ »

JulianY wrote:
_Axel_ wrote:Seen at the bolt in a picture, would be very worried about cracks on the firing pin side!

Please explain?
The firing pin in this gun is not like in a normal gun, but on the side of the bolt. The firing pin is an arm extending fowards. The whole trigger mech is housed over and foward of the trigger. This arrangement left, IMHO, a very thin section of the bolt on that side.

I dont think the benefits of the longer barrel, that u can have with a grip situated magazine well, is worth that trade off! BUT i have not seen a live specimen, only pics in a magazine, altho they very good pics.
Airknight

Post by Airknight »

As a user of the Walther SSP for some time now, I can say that it is a first-rate competition pistol and compares with the best. The pneumatic buffer is an innovative recoil suppression method as compared to the 'vibration muffler' of its predecessor, the GSP Expert.

To beat the recoil, several rapid fire pistols like Benelli-MP90S, Hammerli-SP20, Pardini SP New and Walther GSP Expert have limited the barrels to 4-4.5" as they impart a slightly lesser muzzle velocity (of the order of 50-100 ft/sec lesser) compared to 6" barrels like those of Feinwerkbau AW93, Unique DES96U and Walther SSP. While the smaller barrel is one solution to the recoil problem, penalties of accuracy (though minuscule over 25m distances) are incurred. Walther SSP has addressed this issue with the pneumatic buffer. Walther has also been able to reduce the weight of the SSP (only 970 grams) as the pneumatic buffer largely takes care of the recoil. There is, thus, no need to increase the mass (and consequently lower velocity to ensure F=Ma stays constant). The location of the magazine behind the trigger balances the pistol perfectly, with the centre of gravity lying right under the trigger. Additional counterweight/s tip the nose down a tad, which is just fine for the 'rapid fire' discipline.

I have been using CCI Standard Velocity for training and the ammo has always fed smoothly. For matches, I have used CCI Pistol Match as well as Lapua, both in a class of their own.

One notable feature is the SSP's 3D adjustable grip, which my fits my hand like a glove.

All in all, the SSP is a great pistol (and looks great too).