adjustable rear iris

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

anschutzshooter

adjustable rear iris

Post by anschutzshooter »

It was suggested to me that it's time to look into getting an adjustable rear iris for my air rifle. I've been looking around and there seem to be so many kinds (different magnifications, color filters, polarization filters, some with color/polarization filters, some without, some with just one of them, etc). What exactly do the color and polarization filters do? What are the pros/cons? Are there any particular brands that are better than others? I'm using the Anschutz 7020/20 sight set (if that makes a difference for which brands would be compatible).

I apologize about all the questions. I just don't want to get something that I will spend forever tinkering with and never get the full effect of. At the same time though I don't want to get something, realize I need more, and end up spending double the money and time. If someone can help that would be wonderful. Thank you.
Thomas Monto

Sight

Post by Thomas Monto »

I hate to bust your bubble about tinkering, but......

I would get the sight that has all the colors and opeing adjustments. Each range you visit may require different front sight openings, rear sight opening adjustment, and color adjustment depending upon the range and lighting conditions.

Even outdoors depending on light direction and sunny, cloudy, raining, fog, etc.

I keep a log on each range I shoot at. recording conditions and sight settings, filters, etc. This give one a START for the proper adjustments for that particular range.

Tinkering? It never stops.

I personally use Anschutz, Gehman and Centra

My $.02 worth
TM
TargetShootingShop.com

Post by TargetShootingShop.com »

Get the combination iris with the colour filters and the polarisation filters.

If your eyesight is poor, perhaps the ones wth optical correction might be an option.

Anschutz irises and Centra models are the same thing, both made by Centra and both using quite old technology. Centra re-brands the Anschutz ones and Anschutz sell them as their own. If you want to go down that road by Centra not Anschutz as they are cheaper and the exact same.

Gehmann are far and away the market leaders and using newer technology. They only make their own irises and I feel are far superior to the Centra/Anschutz clones. And they are cheaper too.

In my opinion you will not regret buying a Gehmann 565 iris.

Just my opinion of course

TargetShootingShop.co.uk

Post by Guest »

If you shoot with a lot of eye relief, make sure that if you do get a big rear iris unit, that when attached to your rearsight, the other end of your rearsight doesn't foul the breech and stop you being able to load comfortably.

I've got ten colours and a polariser in my rearsight unit. I only regularly use the polariser, and I've used the yellow filter once or twice. I haven't used any of the others.
anschutzshooter

Post by anschutzshooter »

ah, I don't mind tinkering with it...I understand that everything will need tinkering in order to get it to fit me. I just don't want to get something way far and beyond what I'm needing and end up tinkering with it to the point where it becomes more of a distraction simply because I got something I truly didn't need.

I suppose what I'm trying to explain (and can't seem to word it right no matter how many times I try to type it before I hit "submit") is that tinkering itself isn't an issue for me. It's only an issue if the tinkering isn't worth it because I'm messing with stuff that doesn't matter (like having 10 color filters versus 5 and stuff like that).

What do the polarization filters do?

What is the difference of magnifications and does a higher magnification automatically = better iris?

Thank you for the responses thus far.
Thomas Monto

Sight

Post by Thomas Monto »

Basically a polarizer reduces glare, just like the polarized sunglasses. As far as dioptors go, if you shoot international (USAS) they are illegal. Correction must be worn by the shooter (check the rules), and cannot be on the rifle or sights.

While you might just use one or two color filters, they're nice, I would get the 10. You never know when they might be used. Better to have them and not use them than not to have them and need them.

Up to $.03 worth
TM
diopter

colors & polarizers

Post by diopter »

Here's a link to scans of instructions to my Gehmann unit.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0703/ ... /Page1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0703/ ... /Page2.jpg

This should give you an idea of how, or why, to use the different possible settings.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

To post the dissenting option, I had a bells'n'whistles rearsight for my air rifle and after a few years, just got another, plain one instead with just the iris and a five colour filter ring. Two reasons;
1) I never used half the stuff on the more complicated iris indoors - outdoors for 50m, yes but never indoors;
2) The complicated iris was so long that it was knocking into my shooting lens when I was in a comfortable position and I was holding my head back as a result, throwing everything out of kilter. The simpler iris lets me hold a much more comfortable position.