SIGHTER SHOTS

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

BOOKER

SIGHTER SHOTS

Post by BOOKER »

Hi everybody.

What is the main reason for the "sighter shots".

I mean if you already have your sights adjusted, I know every day you will not shot the same, but how can I know when I'm correcting too much with those sighter shots.

Thanks
Juan Carlos*

Sighters shots

Post by Juan Carlos* »

The sighters shots are to fit differences dues to:

1. The use of other ammunition.
2. Shooting in other range.
3. The wind and light.
4. Changes of jacket, glove, strap, etc
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Also just practice. Sometimes in standing it seems I shoot better as time passes so it seems to me if I take a lot of practice shots in standing it gives me time to settle in.
n1heu

sighters

Post by n1heu »

The importance of sighters cannot be over emphasized in rifle shooting. Every range is different, temps and humidity, lighting, target height, shooter orientation, even your own varying body weight come into play. Something that pistol shooters don't deal with is different zero for different positions. Your standing zero is probably a different setting than prone. Many international shooters have 3 butt plates and 3 rear sights set up for each position. Even your hold throughout a match can change zero.
seemehaha

Post by seemehaha »

to expand on what pdeal was saying, sighter shots are also important to warm up your head. you use those shots to help settle, get focused, and be mentally ready to fire your match. like in any other sport you have to warm up before the game and sighters are your way to do that.
BOOKER

Post by BOOKER »

Thanks everyone for your comments.
I got the idea.
Talking about sighter shots, how many is too much. I shoot like 30-40 shots before shooting a 60 shot series.
Is it too much, how many is ok?
Or is it just personal preference.

Thanks again
Nicole Hamilton

Post by Nicole Hamilton »

I think it is personal preference. I notice some folks don't seem interested to do any. Myself, I like to get about 20 to 40 if possible before any record shots. But for me, if some sighters are good, more are not necessarily better: I know I overdid it when I find I'm getting tired too early in the match, then my scores drop.
seemehaha

Post by seemehaha »

depending on the position, i usually shoot at least 10. in prone i shoot more to get really focused and in the zone for the whole match. standing i don't shoot as many because i dry fire at least once before every match shot. kneeling i shoot a bit more because my zero changes by a couple of rings.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I almost always shoot minimal sighters - between 5 and 10 (air or free pistol). I shoot fairly slow so too many and I will run out of time. As others have mentioned sighters are required to account for the varying light conditions and get your head set right. Some people shoot sighters until they are shooting well whereas I shoot sighters until I'm happy and settled - I'd rather shoot well in the match.

Rob.
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

Approaching from a different perspective - how would you feel if, towards the end of your first string, you realize that all your shots are left and low and you've dropped three points already that would have been tens if your sights had been set correctly?

I'd be kicking myself...

When sighting:
One shot on its own is meaningless.
Two shots in the same place give a rough indication.
Three shots in the same place is more reliable.
Four or more and you should be pretty confident that your sights are zeroed correctly.

Of course, when you adjust your sights you should start again from scratch...
Another good exercise is to sight in, break position, sight in again and see if your zero has moved.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

KennyB wrote:Approaching from a different perspective - how would you feel if, towards the end of your first string, you realize that all your shots are left and low and you've dropped three points already that would have been tens if your sights had been set correctly?
They wouldn't be - the sights would be changed after one or two shots into the series - that's what they are there for.
When sighting:
One shot on its own is meaningless.
Two shots in the same place give a rough indication.
Three shots in the same place is more reliable.
Four or more and you should be pretty confident that your sights are zeroed correctly.

Of course, when you adjust your sights you should start again from scratch...
Another good exercise is to sight in, break position, sight in again and see if your zero has moved.
Actually I disagree. If you have learnt shot calling and practice good techniques you should be able to use a single shot to start moving your sights. I will move mine after one or two shots and then use further shots to verify those sight moves.

Rob.