A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Storz

Post by Storz »

Just wanted to introduce my self, I just got into shooting last year. I purchased a 22lr rifle and have mainly been plinking/informal target shooting by myself.

I generally shoot at 50 or 75 yards in the prone position. Right now I am a horrible offhand shot. I have a savage markII-FV, certainly not a target grade rifle, but it seems to shoot pretty well. I have a Richards "tack-driver" stock on order for it and once it comes in I may switch from a scope to apeture sights and focus on my prone, standing and kneeling positions.

Great forum here and I am sure I'll be around asking questions and such. :)
cdf

Post by cdf »

Welcome , this is a good place to pick up info . Have fun and stay awhile .

Chris

Post by Guest »

cdf wrote:Welcome , this is a good place to pick up info . Have fun and stay awhile .

Chris
Nicole Hamilton

Post by Nicole Hamilton »

I don't know if you're at a club or commercial range, but either way, check the calendar where you're shooting. They probably have some leagues that you might enjoy. Shooting is not only an individual sport, it's also very social. I really, really enjoy seeing the same people every week (or several times a week :) in matches. You see their progress and they see yours and every week you measure it. You learn stuff from them and maybe they learn something from you. And you get to try their guns and hear how they chose them. Most important, you make some nice friends and it makes shooting a lot more meaningful.

Of course, chances are that the leagues will require certain types of guns and your gun might not qualify. But don't let that discourage you. It's really good news, you just don't know it yet. :) What it means is you get an excuse to buy another gun! That's GREAT! (People starting out in shooting think they're going to buy one gun so it has to be one that's good for everything. No way! No one who enjoys shooting buys just one gun! They're worse than potato chips. :)
Elmas

Post by Elmas »

No way! No one who enjoys shooting buys just one gun! They're worse than potato chips. :)
So what is your 'favourite' gun Nicole ? The AP or the FP ?

Elmas
Storz

Post by Storz »

I went to CMU and still live in Mt Pleasant, MI...I just emailed the rifle club the other day to see if the club is open to alumni as well as students (graduated in 04)

I have a S&W 22a on lay-away right now also :)
Nicole Hamilton

Storz wrote:I have a S&W 22a on lay-away right now also :)
That's a great choice for a first gun! They're inexpensive (there's a dealer here in WA that sells them for $205 new), you can shoot them one-handed or two-handed and they're very easy to strip, clean and (unlike the Rugers) reassemble.

The 22A was my first gun and I still have it, of course. It's always the gun I'll pull out when I'm taking a friend to the range who's never shot before. New shooters always have a good experience with it, which I think is important because I want them come back. Mine has a red-dot on it because I used it in NRA bullseye and that also makes it easier for new shooters.

I think you'll be very happy with your 22A.
Nicole Hamilton

Elmas wrote:So what is your 'favourite' gun Nicole ? The AP or the FP ?
That's like picking my favorite child. I love them all! :) That said, I'm finding I'm especially enjoying FP lately. I like the challenge of it as the 'ultimate' in precision slow-fire -- though of course I tend to like it better on days when I shoot well and not so much on days when I don't. (A good day is when I break 500. :) But a lot of why I like it so much is the point I just mentioned: Shooting is a very social sport. I really like the little group of us that have been showing up every Monday for FP. We have a lot of fun.