New Air Pistol Shooter

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
LivieY

New Air Pistol Shooter

Post by LivieY »

Hi
I am a competitive rifle shooter but my brother, who is 11, will be starting to compete in air pistol this year. I know nothing about air pistol and I was wondering if anybody could give me any information. Anything would be helpful and greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch!

Livie
cdf

Post by cdf »

You have come to the right place , but it's hard to know where to start . Our host has great articles on his site , the archives are very usefull . There are lots of imponderables , how motivated is the young guy , what kind of budget is available , what if any prior experience has he got ? I'm not trying to be obtuse , but anything that would narrow things down would help .

Chris
LivieY

Post by LivieY »

Our family owns an indoor shooting range in Louisville KY so we will be able to pay wholesale for them, and as I said before I shoot air rifle and he did not take to that very well. His intrest is mostly on pistols. He is just getting started in it and will be shooting in the local Shelby Co 4-H for at least another year to get more practice in then start shooting more competitions than those. We are looking to just get him started so we will not need to get a FWB or anything like that, but just an entry level one.

Thanks a lot in advance

Post by Guest »

since there is no information about his build and strength. you might want to consider getting a junior model of the pistols. this way he would be likely to train longer and more which is very helpful.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

If you have a range and access to the guns at wholesale prices then do what everyone should do and try them all out before you buy anything. Depending on your brothers size and stature I'd probably opt for a junior model of the Steyr's (Anshutz's) or Morini but other makes are available. Sure you can get a lower priced model but it won't save you much money in the long run, as he'll only want to upgrade anyway. Also top end guns hold their retail price very well when sold second hand should he decide shooting aint for him.

Rob.
James

Post by James »

Tau junior is pretty common for juniors.

Its very light.