your thoughts?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
bubba_zenetti

your thoughts?

Post by bubba_zenetti »

while i was practicing tonite with my twinmaster match, i noticed i have a more difficult time holding the front sight steady.

my air pistol is rather light compared to my walther gsp. it would seem that during dry fire practice, it is easier for me to hold my walthers front sight steady than it is my twinmaster.

i do not have any weights on my twinmaster but i was thinking of adding some in hopes that more weight would make the pistol a bit more steady.

so my first question is, what should i be looking for when i add weights? how do i find the pistols balance point? what is the right feel is what i am asking.

another thing i notoced is my grip feels like it is sharp along the finger grooves just below the trigger finger. the palm fill feels pointy and not full. it seems like very time i grip the pistol, i am fumbling to get comfortable. i cannot seem to find any aftermarket grips for this pistol (rohm twinmaster). any suggestions on how to modify the grip so it fits me better?
cdf

Post by cdf »

bubba , if you are trying control moment of inertia you want your weight close to the muzzel .

Chris
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

1) Heavier is better (there is a reason why the rules stipulate a weight MAXIMUM and not a MINIMUM) . . .

2) Nose heavy is better than tail heavy . . .

*Your* individual "sweet spot" will be different from other people in terms of total weight and balance; however, the top two principles apply to pretty much everyone. Shoot the heaviest, nose heaviest, pistol you can shoot your best with. The actual weight, and amount at the nose, will be different for you- but the best answer for you will be "heavy" and "nose heavy."

Not sure that made sense the way I described it . . .

Steve Swartz
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Increased moment of inertia will help reduce motion of the front sight. You get the largest moment of inertia for smallest added weight, if the weight is located at the muzzle.

I had a similar problem with my grips. I bought some PlayDough (can be found in childrens' toys section) and added some to the palm area. I like this material because it can be easily removed/changed until you decide you have the right feel. Then get some epoxy filler from Home Depot, Morini Grip Paste, or similar material to make the change permanent. There's been a lot of discussion on materials and techniques on TT - do a search on 'grip modifications'
K5Tangos

Post by K5Tangos »

Steve,

While I tend to agree with you that heavier can be better, remember that inertia is a double edged sword. While a nose heavy pistol is harder to get swinging and therefore more initially stable, it is also harder to STOP swinging once it gets rolling.

Of couse, you know I manage to avoid all these difficult technical issues with my patented "aim high right and yank violently" technique.

Keith