choosing an air pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
scoutmobile

choosing an air pistol

Post by scoutmobile »

I am trying to decide between a Steyr LP2 and a Morini 162. I am a female 5'5 with a small grip and have never shot air pistol before but was a very good .22 rifle shooter 15 years ago. A friend really likes his morini, but the National Olympic Coach recommended me to try the LP2.
Any comments or thoughts? Anyone have a lightly used LP2 to sell? I have never shot either one of these & would really like to give it a try.[/list]
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Try them both and see what suits you is the best solution. Both guns are very good but it's what works for you that matters not what a friend finds good.

And actually I'd suggest you try as many different makes and models if possible before buying anything, not just the two mentioned.

Rob.
BJ

Post by BJ »

Of the 2 mentioned, the Steyr will be less muzzle heavy (unless the Morini is the short version) and lighter overall.
To a new woman shooter, I would recommend the Steyr.
They will both shoot as accurately as each other.
cdf

Post by cdf »

The Morini short with the electronic trigger is a very nice rig . The same can be said of the LP2 . Try both if you can , both are excellent pieces . I own both a Morini short electronic , and an LP10 - after nearly a year I still cant make up my mind . If I were to go the Styer route , I would go with the LP10 minus the barrel weights .

Chris
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Hmmm, interesting question... Obviously the best advice is to try both and pick the one that works best for you. As mentioned by previous posters, you really can't go wrong with either pistol.

There are a couple of other factors worthy of consideration before making a purchase decision. The Steyr pistol offers a couple of technical advantages in that its grip angle is adjustable, and it's available in a very small "junior" version. These are only advantages if you really need them.

On the flip side the Morini has simply the very best trigger in the business. If you only need slight grip angle adjustments then you can get the Morini to fit quite nicely with only a bit of grinding and/or filling. I needed a fair amount of adjustment on my Morini 162Short and was able to accomplish the necessary adjustments with the addition of several layers of Morini grip paste. I have an LP1 and have owned an LP10 and can honestly say that my 162Short grip has been able to produce as reliable a natural pointing angle as my Steyrs, but it just took a little more work to achieve the desired result.
GaryBF

Chosing An Air Pistol

Post by GaryBF »

Before making your decision, I suggest that you consider the Anschutz LP@Junior. It is made by Steyr and is mechanically a twin of the LP10 except that is has a shorter barrel without the shroud, and it has the short air cylinder like the LP2 Junior. The Anschutz sights offer more adjustments than the LP2 and it has the recoil absorbing bolt, just like the LP10. Otherwise it is similar to the LP2 Junior. You can buy one at a reasonable price from Neal Johnson's Gunsmithing Inc. with your choice of grip size.
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

where in the country or in the world are you? Maybe an opportunity could be created for you to try both

Poole
http://arizona.rifleshooting.com/
BJ

Post by BJ »

GaryBF is right, the LP@ offers more technology (recoil reduction and rear sight). But other posters have explained the virtues of a simple system with less moving parts (LP2). Too much choice !!!.
Elmas

Post by Elmas »

Each and every shooter probably has his own criteria for choosing an air pistol , for some aesthetics play an important part, for others its the technical features of adjustable grip angle, adjustable sights and electronic triggers...

Once the choice is made... one should then concentrate on the shooting...and not keep revising one's decision of pistol model.
The modern guns are all very nearly similar and of excellent quality , I for one am going for the TESRO , a german make supposedly a Walther clone for aesthetic reasons... But at our club the STEYR models are top.