Is it against Pay-Pals rules to pay for airguns?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

f1gpstar

Is it against Pay-Pals rules to pay for airguns?

Post by f1gpstar »

I saw where you can't pay for firearms, but does airguns count?

Thanks,

Bill
wolskyr

Re: Is it against Pay-Pals rules to pay for airguns?

Post by wolskyr »

The restriction references the Federal code, which defines a firearm as:

(3) The term “firearm” means
(A) any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive;
(B) the frame or receiver of any such weapon;
(C) any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or
(D) any destructive device. Such term does not include an antique firearm.

Airguns are not firearms by this definition.

Of course, I'm just reading the words, I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV ...

-- Rob W.
-- Poconos, PA
f1gpstar wrote:I saw where you can't pay for firearms, but does airguns count?

Thanks,

Bill
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

It doesn't really matter what legally is classified as a firearm, rather what ebays rules are. I didn't think they listed guns of any description but I might be wrong or that may just be in the UK version of ebay. Try searching for guns or airguns and see what shows up (and you could always read their listing rules).

Rob.
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

Do NOT use PayPal. Ever. Much less if the amount you need to pay requires you to register and give a bank account number. Some people open a bank account just for that purpose, but even that is too much of a breach for me.

There are too many other forms of legitimate, guaranteed payment to deal with those anti-gun orifices. And vendors who only take PayPal simply get no business from me.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

That will teach me to read the title properly - I read ebay not paypal ;-)

I don't think paypal specify - heck as long as they get their cut they won't mind.

As for the last poster, don't worry about them. I've been using paypal for a couple of years with zero problems and no-one I know has had any problems either. It's probably safer than buying online and deffinately safer than phone shopping.

Rob.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

I basically agree with Jose. I hate paypal but I use it. Ebay rules forbid airguns and firearms. As far as paypal goes I'd be very careful in paying for an airgun. I heard somewhere along the line of someone who got their acct frozen because of paying for gun parts or some such thing and they had a heck of a time getting their money.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

RobStubbs wrote:I don't think paypal specify - heck as long as they get their cut they won't mind.
Paypal's UK conditions prohibit using it for paying for firearms (except antiques). As ISSF style airguns are classified as firearms in the UK, albeit ones that are exempt from Firearm Certificate requirements, it follows that you cannot use Paypal to pay for them.
RobStubbs

UK only though ?

Post by RobStubbs »

David Levene wrote:Paypal's UK conditions prohibit using it for paying for firearms (except antiques). As ISSF style airguns are classified as firearms in the UK, albeit ones that are exempt from Firearm Certificate requirements, it follows that you cannot use Paypal to pay for them.
Like you say David that's paypal UK, the guy's in the US though. That said I'd still check their conditions and see.

Rob.
iow

Post by iow »

I'm English and live and work in Florida. I agree with Ron , I've used PayPal hundreds of times , and it's quite safe as long as you are aware of the scams that can happen. I'd also say it's a lot safer than giving someone your credit/debit card details over the phone , or by e-mail.
I've been told that you're not supposed to buy airguns with PayPal , but i know people that have , both from private individuals , and from large companies.
Len
PS .... Something else that's not supposed to happen ..... I noticed that a Feinwerkbau 600 sneaked through & sold on eBay last month for $1300 !
mda

Post by mda »

Do not use paypay to pay for any gun or air gun. Paypay/ebay are very anti gun and will freeze and seize your account if they discover that you are using it to purchase any type of firearm or air gun. Read their policys. On the the Enos IPSC forum there have been nurmous post of this happening. As another poster said there many other ways to purchase without supporting this anti-gun company.

Mark
Fred Mannis

Anti gun Policiies

Post by Fred Mannis »

mda wrote:Do not use paypay to pay for any gun or air gun. Paypay/ebay are very anti gun and will freeze and seize your account if they discover that you are using it to purchase any type of firearm or air gun. Read their policys. On the the Enos IPSC forum there have been nurmous post of this happening. As another poster said there many other ways to purchase without supporting this anti-gun company.

Mark
Mark,
They may well be anti gun; a number of companies are.
On the other hand, their decision not to handle firearms on ebay and not to allow financial transactions involving firearms on Paypal may be just business policy decisions to stay out of the clutches of government agencies like BATF. They have a list of over two dozen Acceptable Use Policy restrictions, including such items as bootleg concert recordings and switch blade knives.
I have read their policy on firearms, weapons and knives and do not see a restriction on air guns. AirSoft and paintball type air guns are specifically allowed.

I have no financial interest in Ebay/Paypal and will not use their services if you can show me some specific examples of their antigun behavior.

Fred
MDA

Post by MDA »

Following post is from a vendor that used paypal and had account closed for selling firearm related items. Not firearms only related products. Only of of many.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.p ... ntry425747

MDA
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

MDA wrote:Following post is from a vendor that used paypal and had account closed for selling firearm related items. Not firearms only related products.
He did not, of course, define "related items". One presumes he had read Paypal's acceptable use policy in relation to firearms and related items.