How to score 10m

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Cheng

How to score 10m

Post by Cheng »

Can someone please email or respond as how to score 10m edelman targets? I am only practicing but would like to know if i am scoring myself correctly. Specifically, what do i award myself if my shot was midway between rings 8 and 9? How many shots are in a match?

Thanks.
Cheng
Al Dart

Post by Al Dart »

A shot touching the line between scoring rings receives the higher value of the two rings.
Men shoot 60 shots and women shoot 40 shots.
Cheng

thanks Al

Post by Cheng »

Hence, i was doing better than i thought. I was giving myself the point value of the more dominant ring. many thanks.

Cheng

Post by Guest »

Getting an appropriate rulebook would be of value. The USA NRA book shows how to score & use the plug.
cdf

Post by cdf »

Cheng , glad you are having fun with the LP50 , a truly great pistol . At this stage dont get too hung up on scores , try for groups . Hard as it may seem try to work on the shot process . The dry fire mag for the LP50 will be usefull in this regard . Mostly , try to balance serious training with simple mindless fun .

Chris
Cheng

grouping?

Post by Cheng »

Chris,
my groups are horrible. I'm sure it is operator error but i just can't seem to group 5 shots within 1 inch. I think my usual groups are about 2 inches if not 3 inches. a couple will be 1/2" but there will be one or two that are WAY off, not even in the black. I am concentrating on breathing and sight alignment. After my sights look right, i look for the target which becomes blurry or fuzzy. Would shooting glasses help this fuzziness?

Cheng
Al Dart

Post by Al Dart »

Cheng,
You cannot see both the sights and the target in equal sharpness at the same time. Your concentration should be on the sights through the entire shot. You will be able to see the bull, but it will not be sharp. A good training exercise is to shoot at a blank paper. Turn the target around so that you cannot see the bull. Then concentrate on establishing a stable position and focus on the sights. You should see a marked improvement in your group size in no time.
Al
rick lee

Post by rick lee »

yup try to get a grouping size that is smaller than 7cm before you actually start with any scoring
cdf

Post by cdf »

Cheng , get your head into some of the articles on our hosts site , try also " Nygord's notes" . Concentrate mainly on your front sight - three objects at once is an optical impossability . All of the above explain it far better than I ever could .

Chris
Steve wartz

Post by Steve wartz »

Cheng:

Turn the target around and shoot at the blank side. First, "dry fire" (no pellet) at the blank target. Focus on keeping the sights aligned. Physically focus on the front sight, and notice with great intensity what happens at the instant the "empty shot" releases. You want there to be no movement of hte front sight relative tot he rear sight when the trigger releases. Adjust your grip, finger position, etc. to make sure that the trigger release is perfect (no mislignment movement) every single time.

Then switch to "love fire" (with a pellet) at the same blank target. Concentrate 100% on keeping the sights aligned while releasing the shot. Also try to notice with great intensity what happens to the front sight at the moment of release. if you do this with a pellet, it becomes acritical element we call "follow through."

Alternate between live fire and dry fire shots on a blank surface exclusively until your blank target group sizes are an inch or so. It won't take as long (days or weeks, not months) as you think. As soon as you turn the target around and begin poitning at the dark circle, everything will fall apart on you and you will have to keep going back to the blank target until you get a few things sorted out in yioulr head.

We are here always to give youl as mjuch help as you need. Enjoy!

Steve Swartz

Post by Guest »

Great post, Steve!

This helped me, too. :)
PETE S

Post by PETE S »

"Love fire"? Steve, I know you are passionate about shooting but "Love Fire." Is that one of them freudian slips?
PETE S

Post by PETE S »

One important consideration is that there is NO recoil with an air pistol. So if the pistol is moves as you squeeze the trigger, YOU did it. And you should not. Hence, Steve's suggested drill.

Most people are so busy watching where the front sight is on the target, they never see the front sight within the rear sight. Hence, the blank page to eliminated the distraction.

Also, this training must be intense.
Cheng

Off to practicing

Post by Cheng »

I will be doing some serious training with all your tips. I will report back to you. Hence, i will be saving many edelman targets!

Cheng
Cheng

Off to practicing

Post by Cheng »

I will be doing some serious training with all your tips. I will report back to you. Hence, i will be saving many edelman targets!

Cheng
darticus

Blank side?

Post by darticus »

When shooting at the blank side, do you aim at the center of the target paper?
PETE S

Post by PETE S »

Consider this, how would you know if you are aiming at the center of the target? If you are really studying the front sight, with intensity, monitoring with all your energy the exact alignment of the sights, how could you tell if you are in the center of the target?

If you know you are in the center of the target, you are NOT putting all your attention on the front sight. This is the key, the point of the exercise, learning and training your eye to go the the sights and NOT the target. Focus and attention must be the sights and the precise, absolute, exact alignment.

The target is a distraction, forget it!!!!
darticus

understand something

Post by darticus »

I understand about the concentration on the sites but how do you practice groupings on the back of a target if your not aiming at anything?Your just looking at your sites! Trouble understanding.
PETE S

Post by PETE S »

And now understanding is beginning. Just try it. Shooting is not natural. It is counter-intutive.

Just do it. Have the pistol with the balnk target someplace behind the front sight but just do not care where. All your attention on the sight alignment.

You will be amazed at the results. Of course, you may see the sights moving more than you ever thought they were moving.

Ignore the blank target.

Trust me!

And remember, if the front sight moves when you shoot, with an AP it was your body that caused the movement. An air pistol has NO recoil.
darticus

Great!

Post by darticus »

Will give it a try!