Newbie questions on AP use and maintenance

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Dick

Newbie questions on AP use and maintenance

Post by Dick »

After years of competing in Bullseye competitions, I've been bitten rather badly by the air pistol bug and am now the proud owner of a new Steyr LP50. The owner's manual was a bit brief, to say the least, and I have a couple of questions for the more experienced AP owners here.

The pistol came with two "real" magazines (is that what they're called?) and one orange plastic one. What's that last one for? - is it more than simply a way of showing the gun to be unloaded?

I'm used to relieving the tension on the mainspring in my cartridge guns by firing them on a snap-cap or the equivalent when I'm done with a session. There doesn't appear to be any way to do the equivalent with the LP50, other than simply firing a "blank," which I gather is not good for APs, and may not leave the springs relaxed in any case. Is there something I should be doing when I'm done shooting for a while or is it OK to leave the gun basically cocked and ready to fire (unloaded, of course)?

What is the proper way to dry-fire practice with this gun?

Any other recommendations on the proper care and feeding of this fine weapon would be greatly appreciated. TIA.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Dick,
The LP50 doesn't have a (main) spring and it is perfectly fine to dry fire it. I do nothing special with my LP5 or 10 and I don't know anyone else who does either. The plastic magazine may be the one for dy firing but I don't know as my LP5 didn't come with one.

Rob.
cdf

Post by cdf »

It's perfectly fine to dry fire the LP50 , either by cocking it each time , or in the alternate to use the dry fire mag ( little orange fella ) . The only cardinal rules are not to crank the velocity up too high ( it will not cycle on semi ) and do dot play with the sear adjustment ( the manual indicates the screw in question - my example has red laquer on it ) .

Other than enjoy !

Chris