Steyr LP-50

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Cheng

Steyr LP-50

Post by Cheng »

Hello everyone.

I have an LP-50 on back order from pilkingtons. I hope to get it soon because i keep reading your posts and it sure is making me want to shoot!
Anyhow, just thought I'd say hi and look fwd to posting more in the future regarding our common interest.

Cheng
James Hurr

Welcome

Post by James Hurr »

Hi Cheng,
Welcome to the forum.
I had good service from my LP5, hope the LP50 is good for you.
James
cdf

Post by cdf »

You will profoundly enjoy your LP50 ! Make sure you have lots of pellets , semiautos up your consumption greatly .

Chris
Horror Dei

full auto

Post by Horror Dei »

cdf wrote:You will profoundly enjoy your LP50 ! Make sure you have lots of pellets , semiautos up your consumption greatly .

Chris
Yes, and the "full-auto" desease that plague the LP5 and LP50 will up the pellet consumption even more.
David Levene

Re: full auto

Post by David Levene »

Horror Dei wrote:Yes, and the "full-auto" desease that plague the LP5 and LP50 will up the pellet consumption even more.
My LP5 has only gone full-auto once. I got a factory authorised agent to re-adjust it and have not had the problem again.

I will admit that I have only had my LP5 for 8 years but, from my experience, I would hardly describe it as a disease.

It is very easy to make an LP5 or LP50 go full-auto; get it serviced or adjusted by someone who doesn't know what he is doing.
cdf

Post by cdf »

I have shot the hell out of mine for about 8 months , never had any feeding or full auto problems . That would only be 3 or 4 sleves , so what do I know .

If you want full auto , you are better off with the FWB 55 family .

Chris
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Horror Dei wrote:
cdf wrote:You will profoundly enjoy your LP50 ! Make sure you have lots of pellets , semiautos up your consumption greatly .

Chris
Yes, and the "full-auto" desease that plague the LP5 and LP50 will up the pellet consumption even more.
I've had mine for almost 5 years and it has never had any malfunctions or gone full auto. This usually happens when it's not adjust prorerly from the factory (rare) or someone monkeys around with it and they don't know what they are doing (common). I also know about 10 others with them and to my knowledge none of them have had any problems.

Horror, I think I've seen you post on a few different threads about problems with different guns, and if that's the case you either have really bad luck or you should do one of two things 1. don't mess with the adjustments 2. If you do mess with the adjustments learn what your doing.

If I'm wrong about your other post I apoligize and stand corrected, But as you haven't joined the board its difficult to go back and search your earlier posts.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Horror Dei wrote:

Chris
And just to add my 2c in, my LP5 has never gone fully auto in about 6 years of owning it and shooting it regularly. By the look of all the other replies hardly constitutes a disease never mind a plague.

Rob.
cdf

Post by cdf »

Cheng , have no fear , in the highly unlikley event that your LP50 goes full auto ; our host will fix it for you . Feed it nice clean pellets , you will love both the accuracy and reliability ,

It's crule to ruin a guy's anticipation of his new gun , which I'm sure will give him a long and faithfull service life .

Be sure and order a single round magazine , and a dry fire mag .

Chris

Post by Guest »

cdf wrote:
Be sure and order a single round magazine , and a dry fire mag .

Chris
Another advantage to the single round magazine is that it will also cure the full auto disease. :-)

Seriously though, I've had my Pilkington LP50 for three years now, shot some very satisfying scroes with it and with zero maintenance problems.

F. Paul in Denver
Cheng

Thank you

Post by Cheng »

Thank you CDF. I will be sure to order the single shot and dry fire mags. What would be good pellets to use w/ the LP50? I'd like to try maybe 3 dif ones and go from there. Do you guys use pellet lubes? i believe for my p70 i add about 4 to 5 drops of fp-10 per tin.

Cheng
Richard H

Re: Thank you

Post by Richard H »

Cheng wrote:Thank you CDF. I will be sure to order the single shot and dry fire mags. What would be good pellets to use w/ the LP50? I'd like to try maybe 3 dif ones and go from there. Do you guys use pellet lubes? i believe for my p70 i add about 4 to 5 drops of fp-10 per tin.

Cheng
Any of your quality pellets like RWS, H&N, JSB's, or Vogel pellets should work fine. There is a thread about cheaper pellets already going. As for lube it's not really necessary and I would probably stay away from it in the repeater beacuae you don't want any oil that will atract dirty into the mechanism. the field target guys use lubes but they are pushing pellets a lot faster than ant of the 10M match pistols or rifles.
cdf

Post by cdf »

Cheng , like most precharged pistols ;the LP50 prefers rifle match pellets . H&N and JSB work great , the only caveat is stick with 4.49 ( you might find 4.50 or larger hard to seat in your mag .At pistol velocities leading isn't a big issue , and match pellets already have dry lube on them from the manufacturing process .

Enjoy!

Chris
F. Paul in Denver

Post by F. Paul in Denver »

I have five mags for the LP50 and found that two of them will seat the 4.49 pellets just about right while in the remaining three, the 4.49 pellet is quite loose. The 4.50's all seat pretty snug and can be driven home with thumb pressure alone.

I also saw no signficant difference in the way either size groups when the gun is placed in a very sturdy vise.

H&N seem to consistently shoot the tightest groups out of mine.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

cdf wrote:Cheng , like most precharged pistols ;the LP50 prefers rifle match pellets . H&N and JSB work great , the only caveat is stick with 4.49 ( you might find 4.50 or larger hard to seat in your mag .At pistol velocities leading isn't a big issue , and match pellets already have dry lube on them from the manufacturing process .

Enjoy!

Chris
I use both 4.5 and 4.49 in mine with no problem actualy the 4.5 are a little tighter so they don't fall out of the mag which I have had happen in the past.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I use 4.50 in my LP5 as I prefer a snug fit. You don't want a loose pellet that gets the skirt crushed on loading the magazine. However like all others, try them and see. Oh and I use pistol pellets rather than rifle ones - can't see the point of changing to rifle when the pistol pellets are fine (in terms of both accuracy and reliability) - out to 25 metres.

Rob.
John Harvey

Steyr LP - 50

Post by John Harvey »

I noticed on the spiel on our hosts site that this pistol has provision for red dot or scope. In what circumstances does one fit these? Does anyone have a LP 50 with one - and if so could you report the purpose of using a scope/dot please.
Also - I'm obviously not looking in the right place - but I'm trying to find the rules and regulation on what rapid fire AP is. The target system used, scoring and all the info to se if it would be enjoyable to partake in. Can anyone steer me in the right direction. Thanks.
F. Paul in Denver

Post by F. Paul in Denver »

John,

Mounting optics on an AP is sometimes done by folks who want to get a little bullseye practice in at home using their AP. THe Steyr LP50 can also be fitted with an optional "heavy trigger" and a 1911 style grip to simulate the .45 feeling.

F. Paul in Denver
David Levene

Re: Steyr LP - 50

Post by David Levene »

John Harvey wrote:Also - I'm obviously not looking in the right place - but I'm trying to find the rules and regulation on what rapid fire AP is. The target system used, scoring and all the info to se if it would be enjoyable to partake in. Can anyone steer me in the right direction. Thanks.
If you are asking about the ISSF competitions then you want the ISSF Rules For 5 Shot Air Pistol (frequently known as the "8.20 Competitions).

In 1997 the ISSF also introduced "Provisional Rules" 10m turning target rapid event with 6x12 second series and 6x8 second series. This was dropped in 2001 with the introduction of the 8.20 events.

Here in the UK we also shoot the 25m Rapid event using 5 shot air pistols and a 10m rapid event using 10, 8 & 6 second strings as shown in the brief British Pistol Club Competition Rules.

I hope this helps.
John Harvey

Steyr LP 50

Post by John Harvey »

Thanks.
Everything I need to know - much appreciated.