Anyone have information on this Lion

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Jim E

Anyone have information on this Lion

Post by Jim E »

sandy22

Post by sandy22 »

Looks like a straightforward Finnish Lion smallbore free rifle to me. You already seem to have a fair amount of documentation on it. Only unusual thing I can see is someone's substituted American sights for the originals. I believe they were made by Valmet, I would guess from c1950 to late 70's / early 80's, perhaps latterly more commonly as a standard rifle.

Regards,

Sandy.
Lefty

anyone have information on this lion

Post by Lefty »

This is a fine example of a " caged beast " . Someone socked this creature away with all documentation included. 1999 Gun Trader's Guide describes : Finnish Lion Match Target Rifle -------bolt action, single-shot. Caliber:22 LR, 28.5-inch heavy bbl,44.5inches overall. Weight: 16lbs.Sights: extention rear peep;aperture front. Walnut free-rifle stock w/full pistol grip, thumbhole , beavertail forend, hook buttplate, palmrest, hand stop, swivel. Made 1937-72. It gives a price for the thumbhole Stock Model at $625 as assumed to be in " excellent condition". Would seem fair to think that since 1999 this rifle would now be 7 years older and worth a bit more. Thanks for sharing a museum piece.
Jim E

Post by Jim E »

Wow. Didn't realize Valmet and the Finnish Lion dominated the smallbore internatonal world for three decades leading up to the "trailblazer" M-55. Probably have to sell/trade this "collector quality" rifle as its too accurate, too pretty, too original, too complete, and too valuable for a low-life like me.
Grant

You are right about one thing

Post by Grant »

Jim E,

Wow, can I...may I ... please buy this pretty rifle of yours?
You are so full of shit. Yeah, suck them in first.
You are right about one thing, You are a low-life.
Grant

You are right about one thing

Post by Grant »

Jim E,

Wow, can I...may I ... please buy this pretty rifle of yours?
You are so full of shit. Yeah, suck them in first.
You are right about one thing, You are a low-life.
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

If anybody has any doubts about Argen Wongs creditbility at this point, his hiding under this Grant name ought to cinch it.