steyr lg100

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Luomu

steyr lg100

Post by Luomu »

Hi all.

Just found this forum so this is my first post here. I've shot mainly pistols for the last 20 years, ISU/UIT disciplines and IPSC at the regional/national level, with moderate succees only on an exceptionally bright day...

Recently I have been drawn more and more back into this formal rifle shooting business (I had a FWB300 at age 14, which I later traded into something in a moment of stupidity). So, I just got myself a Steyr LG100. 550 rounds through the gun now, we are only just getting to know each other. A jacket, a glove & other items are on the buying list. I plan to use the gun as a practise tool for hi-power rifles, but also intend to compete on a local and regional level at some point. Mainly I'd like to hear comments on the rifle, what people think about the quality, accuracy etc. Anything I should be aware of?

-Luomu
Luomu

Post by Luomu »

No comments on Steyr quality/performance? Well, I hope no news is good news..

-Luomu
wrc

Post by wrc »

Well, I have no complaints about my Steyr CO2 match 91, but that's a whole 'nother generation. There just aren't too many Steyrs around here.
jrmcdaniel

Post by jrmcdaniel »

Mine has been modified to shoot field target (around 18fpe), and I use a scope instead of the original sights. If you are willing to ignore these differences with the original 10M version, I would say the gun is great. I have had no problems after probably 20000 shots or so in 2+ years of use.

Best,

Joe
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

I think the reason that there is no response on this from 10m shooters is that noone is shooting them. In the 5 years I have been fooling with this I have never seen anyone shooting a Steyr lg100. I have watched lots of the world cup videos- never seen one. I have been around quite a bit of NCAA shooters and been to lots of jr. matches. Never an LG100. What I do see is 90% Anschutz and Feinwerkbau (say split evenly), and maybe 10% walther.
Luomu

Post by Luomu »

Copy.
Thanks for answers. The reason I was asking, is I have a bit mixed experience w/Steyrs myself. I had a Steyr LP5 until recently, which was totally satisfactory. Then I also had a Steyr M9, which was not so good -reliability problems even with factory ball ammo.

My LG100 seems great, but initial accuracy tests are not quite good enough so far. Could be my fault easily, though. Factory test group is good.

-Luomu
Raymac

Post by Raymac »

I sold and serviced the LG100 for many years.....it is an excellent rifle from a technical point of view, well designed, accurate and dependable. The factory people are great to deal with, parts are available and you have good factory representation right in your country. The break-down feature is great. There's an article that I wrote on the "Technical Tips" page of this site. http://www.airgunsonly.com/frames.html

Also acheck out the Steyr Sportwaffen home page.
rum4m

Post by rum4m »

Had Lg100, now have LG110. Both have same weak point in barrel fixing - I had POI shifting problems which were cured by glueing the barrel in the breech section and making it free floating. Also, I replaced original barrel as it was not satisfactory to me. Original Anschutz barrels are very bad and inaccurate. Otherwise - no problem. :)
Last edited by rum4m on Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Luomu

Post by Luomu »

Yes,
thanks again for comments.
I've put close to 1300 rounds through my gun now, of which allmost 300 with the gun solidly bolted into bench. 10 different pellet types were tried, RWS mostly, either 4,49 or 4,50mm diameter, R10, H&N, etc.
No matter what, the gun makes a hole between 7mm and 8mm at 10 meters, shooting 10 shots into a single group. I don't think thats good enough. The factory test group is a round 6mm hole, now that I have actually measured it, also a bit too large for my taste.
I think I'll be contacting the importer and we'll see what can be done.

-Luomu
jrmcdaniel

Post by jrmcdaniel »

In the US, Allen Zasadny is the best person for the Steyr LG100 at least for field target. I suspect he could accurize your gun at 10M levels, too. I know that my LG100 at 18fpe (JSB Exact Heavy [new design]@890fps pellets and a Leupold 35X scope) can put every shot into a 6mm hole from the bench, and I can do this about 22/30 times from a field target sitting position.

Best,

Joe
Luomu

Post by Luomu »

Yep,
1725 bullets through my Steyr now, of which circa 400 with the gun attached into bench. After contacting the importer, he sent me ten different lots of H&N Finale Match to test. I have to say that after testing about 25 different good quality bullets now, there's really no improvement. The accuracy varies from bad to worse. So, today I took the rifle to the dealer, and he'll be sending it forward. I quess I'll have to wait and see what happens.
Luomu

Luomu

Post by Luomu »

Ahem,
I thought to give the audience a status report, in case anyone is interested;
I just phoned the importer to ask news about my rifle. He said he has sent the gun straight back to the factory. So I trust and hope it gets a thorough examination and proper care to the problem at home in Austria.
Luomu

Post by Luomu »

Well now,
I've got my rifle back from Austria (+ a coupla extra dings in the wood). Reportedly the people at the factory have cleaned the barrel (dirty barrel was NOT the reason for bad grouping, let me assure you), replaced some O-rings and adjusted muzzle velocity. They put 16 ten-round test targets into the bag with my gun; these show some improvement, allthough I have seen better groups with other guns. The most promising bullets seem to be JSB. Only negative aspect with these is they are not imported into Finland. I have yet to make my own bench testing. We'll see how that goes when I find the time for it.
Keyrigger

Post by Keyrigger »

Just a thought, but did you try putting on the barrel weights and then moving them around to tune the barrel harmonics? I did so with on of my Steyrs and the results gave an even better target then the one supplied with the rifle. It was a single hole, 10 shots, at 10 meters using RWS R-10 4.49 53 g. I am doing the same to a second rifle I just got sorted out this afternoon. The first rifle is the FT version and the second one is the Match.

Don
Luomu

Post by Luomu »

Keyrigger,
no I haven't done that, but it's worth a try. I kind of felt I did not need any extra weight. Thanks for the tip.
cmj

Post by cmj »

We just got my daughter an LG110. It shoots much better with the weights on it. Original intent was to remove them for her to grow into. We put them back on after bench shooting it. Without the weights the accuracy seemed to suffer. She shot her best ever 40 OH Sunday by 30 points and her first ever 90 (92) target OH. 40 shot OH score of 341. May not sound like much, but she just turned 12 in March.
pointingdevices

4 European Air Rifles

Post by pointingdevices »

Thank you everyone for the posts on this topic. Of the four Olympic grade European air rifles (Feinwerkbau, Steyr, Anschutz, and Walther) I choose the Steyr, mostly due to their advertizing glitz. But now I'm leaning toward the Feinwerkbau after reading all this about the Steyr. If anyone has any input thanks in advance. Interesting!
cdf

Post by cdf »

pointingdevices , it's what works for you . That said , the FWB 700 is a front runner . Then again the Walther offerings have done very well recently in the hands of the Indian team .

You need to factor in dealer support , availability , availability of service etc . Like John Wayne said in Rio Bravo " I'd hate to have to live on the difference " .

Try them if you can , choose what pleases you . Unless you are a top flight shooter it probably doesn't make much difference .

Personally I like the takedown feature on the Styer 110 a great deal , and I enjoy shooting it . Since I will probably never reach the dizzy heights of air rifle achievment , any shortcomings of the breed will never become apparent .

Chris
Richard H

Re: 4 European Air Rifles

Post by Richard H »

pointingdevices wrote:Thank you everyone for the posts on this topic. Of the four Olympic grade European air rifles (Feinwerkbau, Steyr, Anschutz, and Walther) I choose the Steyr, mostly due to their advertizing glitz. But now I'm leaning toward the Feinwerkbau after reading all this about the Steyr. If anyone has any input thanks in advance. Interesting!
Pointingdevice don't make decsions based on a single thread on some forum. There are people that will never be happy with anything, there whole sport is bitching and complaining (not saying that's whats going on here). If you can actually go somewhere, where you can touch feel and hopefully even try some that intrest you.
pointingdevices

How good do you want to be?

Post by pointingdevices »

Wow, thanks guys, and greetings Canada! Here in the middle of Kansas there isn't much in the way of air rifle supply. Can't find a coach or even an air rifle shooting organization. Have dreams of moving to Colorado Springs to be around the Olympic Training Center. Currently shooting a fairly decent, after some mods, Tech Force 79. The stock split apart by the pistol grip so we gorilla glued and clamped it then replaced the factory screw with a fatter longer one. Applied a nice Danish oil finish and replaced all the factory seals. As time has progressed the last couple of years the groups have closed up to the point the gun is slightly better than I am. But the day is fast approaching when a $3000 investment will be required. I think it was in O'Conners writings; "How good do you want to be?" What a great question. I'm currently shooting sharpshooter (NRA) and want to be good enough to go to Distinguished Expert and place decently high in a PTO. After that we'll see where the desire takes us. Did you all see:
http://www.pilkguns.com/usedguns.shtml
the 'A very special Anschutz 8002', 'upgraded with the 9003 stabilizer system by Mattias Raiber, senior gunsmith at the Anschutz.' and the owners manual signed by Mattias and company president Jochen Anschutz? Now that would be a nice gun to own!
Thanks again for the input, the Steyr is back on the list now. Before I buy, I'll definately try them out for sure now.