What's a healthy muzzle velocity for a FWB65?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Pneumaniatic

What's a healthy muzzle velocity for a FWB65?

Post by Pneumaniatic »

I shot a match last weekend with this gun and it was ripping the paper a lot rather than punching clean holes through it. My coach told me it would be a good idea to chony the gun, see if anything's odd and maybe have it serviced. What's a healthy velocity for a 65?

Thanks,
Kevin
MSC

Post by MSC »

525 fps vaguely rings a bell as the "advertised velocity". I imagine with the lightest of pellets.

Assuming you're using wadcutters and good-quality targets (Edellman for ex.), you must be REALLY down on velocity. My 360fps Daisy cuts crisp holes with ANY wadcutter and those targets. Though, with standard card-stock targets, it does tear.

I'm certain the moderator here can give you a definite on what to expect with the velocity.

How do you like the 65 otherwise? Just wonder if the vibration is much of a distraction.
Alex L

Muzzle velocity for FWB 65

Post by Alex L »

We have a Model 65, and a few at the Club.
I do my own repairs.
It could be the paper used for the targets, or the barrel seal - part no. 16.122.3 on their parts number sheet.
Our gun was made in 1978 or thereabouts.
with this model there could be one main spring, or on the Model 80 there are 2 springs.
This seal normally wears out and gets damaged after a few years, and it needs to be replaced. It only costs a couple of dollars here in Oz.
However, if you are a good mechanic and can do the job, a neoprine oil seal can be replaced and put inside the barrel seal to make a tighter fit.

It is a good and accurate gun and easy to maintain.
If it is the targets tearing, you can put an old target behind the one you are using. that should stop some of the tear.
Alex L.
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

anything above 450 fps I would consider good
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

We have a few 65's in the club and have next to no problems with them, despite 10's of years of (ab)use. I would deffinately consider getting hold of a chrono to test it but poor quality targets can easily be the problem.

Rob.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

American targets almost always rip with spring piston air pistols. European targets produce better results. If using american made targets use stiff backing material behind them to produce cleaner holes.
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Kevin - don't despair. Bring it down to the club at the next available opportunity on a Wednesday evening and we'll take a look at it for you, and if all else fails we can compare it to the club's '65. And seals are locally available (just across the river). If all else fails we can chronograph the gun, but usually a good visual inspection is all the '65 needs to reveal problems.

BTW - I don't know which targets you were using, but unless the paper is very good quality you will get some tearing if you're running less than about 450-460fps (assuming using Cibles Canada Targets paper stock). If you were using the rolled targets on the target changers, their paper is not of very high quality and anything less than 460-470 will cause tears. When I tested these targets initially I found that my pistol would cause tears if I put two shots within a scoring ring of each other. Seems the paper that was actually delivered is slightly better than the batch I tested.
Pneumaniatic

Post by Pneumaniatic »

Thanks for the replies, and yes I was using Cibles Canada Targets targets. Other than the tearing it shoots and looks fine (blue seals, white bumpers). I bought it from Cibles (rebuilt) so all the wear and tear parts look fine. MSC, there is spring vibration and you can feel the receiver sliding back (a tiny bit) and the spring buzz after pulling the trigger. I don't find it very distracting... but I only started shooting 10m airpistol 3 months ago and havn't shot many different pistols.

Thanks,
Kevin