Pointing the gun to the public???

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
kiko

Pointing the gun to the public???

Post by kiko »

Hi all:
It's been about 20 (15) years since my last air pistol match, I'm sure a lot have changed in respect to safety and the things like that.

I started with the spring pistols and in the cocking and reloading process the shooter pointed the muzzle basically to everywhere before resting the gun pointing forward to the target. This problem was easead with the advent of the Co2 pistols.

I wonder how the pneumatic air pistol shooters do at competitions. do they still point the gun to everywhere or are the safety rules more strict and enforced nowdays. K.
David Levene

Re: Pointing the gun to the public???

Post by David Levene »

kiko wrote:I wonder how the pneumatic air pistol shooters do at competitions. do they still point the gun to everywhere or are the safety rules more strict and enforced nowdays. K.
Unfortunately rule 8.6.1.2 is not always applied as strongly as it should be.

"Before and during the series, including while chambering a cartridge, or checking or cocking a pistol or revolver, the pistol must always be kept pointing down range and within the target backstop area before returning to the READY position for the next shot, or while awaiting the command “UNLOAD”."
Don90250

Post by Don90250 »

My coach is really strict about my pointing my IZH 46M downrange when I cock it. I'm still trying to figure out how to do it without breaking stance.
kiko

Post by kiko »

I guess, during the cavern era a stray 4.5mm pellet fired a the public or at a back of a fellow shooter was not a big "issue". nowdays you (or the club) can get sued for millions $$. Boy, I miss those days. K.
rick lee

Post by rick lee »

well there is a 45 degrees rule in my range. ie when loaded the weapon can only point downrange with max 45 degrees in any direction. i cock pointing the pistol straight up then rest it on the bench before twisting my body right to load a pellet.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Rick

As you will see from the rule I posted above, whilst you may be acting perfectly safely, you are not strictly in accordance with the ISSF rules.
James

Post by James »

Don90250 wrote:My coach is really strict about my pointing my IZH 46M downrange when I cock it. I'm still trying to figure out how to do it without breaking stance.
I've never had trouble cocking and pointing it down range.

This rule is for good reason too. On my pistol, the sear engagment was not enough to prevent the pistol from going off when i closed the bolt.

Had quite a few holes in the wall before i figured out what was going on.

Luckily i always keep my gun pointed downrange.
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

I used to shoot a FWB Model 80 and had no problems keeping it pointed down range. You have to twist your body to the right at the waist (for a right handed shooter) as you pull on the cocking level. I never moved my feet.

I found the easiest way was to lay the pistol over with my hand on top and pull the lever downwards. This way, any movement is still going to be downrange but generally lower than the target. Some shooters (particularly females and juniors) with weaker wrists actually lay the barrel on the bench as the cock the pistol.

Cocking it with the gun in the upright shooting position is far more difficult and tends to allow the barrel to waver. I have seen novice shooters with a FWB start the barrel way out to the right and as they pull the level, the barrel swings right around to point out to the left. With a bit of coaching they easily overcome the problem.

Hope this helps.
Colin
sparky

Post by sparky »

If it's a choice between breaking your stance and keeping the gun pointed safely within the back stop, ALWAYS choose the safer choice of keeping it pointed within the backstop.

Really folks, this should be a no-brainer.

I don't know where you were shooting that allowed you to point guns all over the place, but even when I was shooting about 10-15 years ago with spring guns, we were required to always keep the guns pointed downrange. If you couldn't cock the gun safely, you couldn't shoot.

I guess you could look at it as another advantage the CO2 and pre-charged air guns have.