SHOOTER'S AGE

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

BOOKER

SHOOTER'S AGE

Post by BOOKER »

Well there have been some posts on first match scores, feeling on shooting, and so on.

Now to sum it up what's your age?

YESSSS I did a search and didn't found anything.

Lets begin, I'm a newbie in air rifle shooting and I am 34.
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

39 years old.

Began shooting in 1999 (skeet and sporting clays).

Began shooting Highpower Rifle in 2003, just made Master last month.

Began Smallbore this year, still unclassified. Most of my smallbore shots are practice for highpower, but I enjoy smallbore (mostly prone) matches as well.

It's all good.
anschutzshooter

Post by anschutzshooter »

I'm 19, first shot when I was 14. Shot sporter for 2 years and precision for the rest. My smallbore experience is limited...pretty much to camp and some matches per year. First shot smallbore a couple summers ago.
2002man

Post by 2002man »

Newbie,
3-position smallbore
age 42
H Rocketto

Post by H Rocketto »

I am an old curmudgeon aged 59 who started shooting in 1961 on my high school rifle team. Later did 20 years (1973-93) with the CTNG Rifle Team, and ten years (1983-93) with All Guard High Power and Smallbore.

My current interest is smallbore 3P and prone, gallery and outdoors.
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Fifty-one (and three quarters). Shot smallbore in high school and college in the last century. Took it up again in 1992. Now shoot smallbore prone and 3P, air rifle, Across-the-Course HP and Long Range. Daughter Julie is shooting for the University of Akron.

John DeBrita
davidgoerndt

Post by davidgoerndt »

I'm 57, just started shooting SB prone in July.
1813benny

Post by 1813benny »

I started shooting smallbore prone at age 10, smallbore position at 13 and have not stopped yet (although postion shooting has taken a back seat on the bus of family life). I currently have over 24 years of quality smallbore trigger time with some of the best people in the world...

I competed through club teams, a high school team, a collegiate club, a season on the national development team and currently rounding it out as the head coach of the club team where my shooting career started....
-Ken Benyo
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

52 now. Started with competetive BB rifle at 8 and picked up .22 rifle at 12. First smallbore Camp Perry at 16 and have been going ever since, as well as USISC in 74,75,76,80 & 84. In addition to smallbore I shoot air rifle, air pistol, free pistol, standard pistol and have shot conventional high power rifle and smallbore (rifle and pistol) silhouette. Spend most of my "shooting time" coaching and instructing.
Juan Carlos

Post by Juan Carlos »

63 years now.
Small bore 50 m prone and center fire rifle 300 m prone.
I started at 35 years.
Spain
aim4au

Re: SHOOTER'S AGE

Post by aim4au »

I do air rifle and smallbore rifle. I first picked up a gun at age 23, and I've been at it for 17 years. You can do the math. In that time:

12-Time National Champion (various events)
7-Time International Medalist
3-Time Paralympian (1992-2000)

PaulB and 1813Benny, it's good to see you on the forum too.

Bob from NJ.
sashe

Post by sashe »

I am new to air rifle shooting .only 1 years i've began, but not continous.
now my age is 24.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

3-P Air
Shooting this format 2 yrs ... decided to coach 4-H, figured I'd better learn too.
48 years old and hold my with the kids. Many of my seniors shoot better than me, but when I can turn in 90's in prone and 80's in standing they seem to perk up a bit.
1Sg_Pan

Post by 1Sg_Pan »

im 16 and began shooting 2 months ago and on the rifle team at my high school jrotc
Jake Rifle 300

Post by Jake Rifle 300 »

I am 16 and have been shooting for 2 years now on my high school air rifle team. I shoot a walther lg300 and usely shoot about a 285-290. And im am co-captain of our rifle team.
VladB

Re: SHOOTER'S AGE

Post by VladB »

I am 33. I started shooting competitevily when I was 14. When I turned 14 my buddy and I enrolled to a junior shooting school. We shot 3 position smallbore and 10M. I am forever grateful to my coaches who showed us what a wonderful sport this is. It's hard to believe it's been 20 years.

Now I am shooting 10M, 3 position smallbore, casually shooting Free Pistol, Field Target, and International Field Position.

BOOKER wrote:Well there have been some posts on first match scores, feeling on shooting, and so on.

Now to sum it up what's your age?

YESSSS I did a search and didn't found anything.

Lets begin, I'm a newbie in air rifle shooting and I am 34.
TWP

Post by TWP »

I'm 41,

Been shooting since I was 5. Started shooting competitively around age 19. I've shot several different handgun disciplines including PPC, IPSC, and metallic silhouette.

About 4 years ago my daughter started shooting smallbore, then air rifle. I occasionally shoot both, but like PaulB, spend the majority of my range time coaching.
hipwr223

Post by hipwr223 »

Started shooting when I could walk. Started shooting competitively when I was 23. My primary interest is NRA Highpower rifle (service rifle).

I am however also a casual 4P gallery shooter. Prone(I really like 50M). and I shoot a lot of 10M air rifle in the basement. All of it is training for highpower though. I actually have a true match grade upper for my AR15 that replicates my service rifle in all dimensions and weight. It is great off season training and accurate enough to clean the UIT targets. Tough to do with the post sight, but the rifle is certainly capable.
Oregon Coach

Post by Oregon Coach »

I began about 45 years ago in a 50-foot 4-p smallbore rifle league and have moved on to ISSF/USAS/Int'l plus NRA rifle and air rifle now. I enjoy it all, still, even though I am not nearly as good a shooter as many years ago. I still have fun, win something once in awhile (just enough to keep me coming back) but the best part is all the friends that I have all over the world that are related to the sport in some manner. I travel all over the country and the world competing and have a good time. I also coach and instruct often.
Jim Morrison

Post by Jim Morrison »

My father was a hunter. Not a big game hunter, more like pheasants, quail and a few ducks.

For him it was a social outing and a reason to go to rural Nebraska to see and visit friends and former neighbours.

Rifle hunting was done with .22’s and the targets were “Jacks” and Cotton Tails. BTW, we ate what we shot.

I was conscripted into the US Army in Nov., of 1956. (Up to that point, the best thing that ever happened to me). There I was introduced to JC Garand.

After the Army, it was family time. When our son was about 9 or so, Grandpa showed up with a BB gun. That stated things off.

BB Guns to Pellet Guns. Junior NRA Club to Daisy the Pellet Program.

I personally never won or even came close to winning a match but my junior club members did ok.

Now my junior clubs days are over and guess what, I’m back to JC Garand.

Most Thursday morning, weather permitting, the W4G’s meet at the range. W4G, that “Waiting 4 G-d”. There about 10 of us plus a few guys who work nights that join us. A couple or more are older that I, and several who are younger. I’ll be 72 in 14 days.

Our main courses of fire are the CMP “A” and “B” matches.

I final item, my father shot his last deer at 94, died at 96.

Jim Morrison