Walther LG300 Air Cylinder Problem

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Hip's Ax

Walther LG300 Air Cylinder Problem

Post by Hip's Ax »

Greetings, every few times I unscrew my LG300 air cylinder it dumps its entire charge of air. Is there something wrong with my cylinder that can be fixed or do I have to replace it? At $188 a copy I'm not in a rush to buy something I don't really need. Thanks in advance.
"Where the heck did that 8 come from?!"
TWP

Post by TWP »

Is the rifle brand new?

Our club got 2 of the LG300XT's from CMP about a year ago. Both of them did that for the first few fills. Haven't had a problem with them since.

Until last night, one of our shooters picked up a used one, the original owner claimed to only have filled it once. When I tried to fill it last night had the same problem. It dumped all of it's air twice. On the third fill I unscrewed it at fast as I could and it only dumped a small amount of air.

I was just thinking about posting a similar question today.

ARe any others seeing this problem?

Post by Guest »

No Sir, I bought the rifle slightly used from a trusted friend about a year ago and just shot it for the first time last week. The first few times I topped off the cylinder it was fine, the 4th or 5th time I went to top it, as soon as I unscrewed it from the rifle it dumped. It took a charge from the tank just fine and away to my first match I went on Sunday. My friend running the match suggested that I top off from his big tank (by now my little tank wasn't getting my cylinder up to 200 bar any more) and it unscrewed fine but while he was screwing it on his tank it dumped again. We tried to figure what was going on and it did eventually take a charge but I just find this worrysome.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

We bought 4 of the LG300jr's from the CMP this spring. When I opened them all up and was charging the tanks I had the same problem the first time. I put the tanks aside and thought about it for a day and the next day tried it again and did not have the problem. Maybe give Champ Choice a call.
Hip's Ax

Post by Hip's Ax »

Thanks folks, guess I'll give it a little while and see if it quits dumping. I do think a big tank is in my near future though. :)
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Yea, we kind-of found out a while ago that the 3000psi 80cf aluminum tanks are the way to go. Mine lasts all year. Those LG300 tanks are a little screwey though. I was thinking it was just a problem when they were new, that maybe the valve didn't seat just right at first. Yours being in use a while shoots that idea though. No problem on our 4 since the beginning though.
TWP

Post by TWP »

Hip's Ax wrote:.... I do think a big tank is in my near future though. :)
I think it's cheaper to buy a 80 cu ft scuba tank than it is a 2nd cylinder for the rifles.

Strange about the Walther tanks though. Wish we knew what caused that.
jrmcdaniel

Best tank for the money

Post by jrmcdaniel »

The best value in a tank is the Luxfer. With 106cf at 4300psi, you can get more fills than almost any other option and the price of $320 is less than almost anything except a SCUBA tank (and then it is empty after the first fill).

Check out http://www.absolutescubadivingequipment ... y_Code=LUX

Strongly urge getting the boot, cover, and other accessories.

Best,

Joe
Hip's Ax

Post by Hip's Ax »

That raises a question, I know by reading my owners manual that my rifle is rated at 300 bar, are all others? I ask because I see that most air tanks are filled to 200 bar and the 300 bar tanks are unusual and expensive. Is a 300 bar tank worth the extra money? I'm not a diver and just started shooting air rifle so my scuba tank knowledge is nil.
TWP

Post by TWP »

Many air rifles are only 200 Bar. Our club guns are mostly FWB P70 jr's with 2 of the Walthers.

We use only 200 bar tanks to prevent any confusion (and because we had the 200 bar tanks before we had the 300 bar guns)

Going with a 300 bar tank will give you more shots per fill of your guns cylinder and more shots per fill of the tank.

Is it worth it? only you can decide that. Biggest considerations are how close is the nearest SCUBA shop to fill the cylinder and how much do they charge?

I'm pretty lucky there is a SCUBA shop near my work and they fill our clubs tanks for free. Since we already have 3 200 bar tanks there is no real reason for us to get a 300 bar tank. But if you live an hours drive from the nearest SCUBA shop and you want to limit drives to get your tank filled the 300 bar tank may be worth it.
Hip's Ax

Post by Hip's Ax »

Thanks, I have a scuba shop pretty much on my way home so stopping for refills is no big deal. I'll stick with the 200 bar tank for the same reasons.
TWP

Post by TWP »

Our shooters new rifle seems to be venting even more.

I just talked to Homer at Champions Choice and he mentioned 2 things.

First, the rifle is designed for 300 BAR. We're using 200 BAR Scuba Tanks, when the air level is not high enough (below about 150) they won't hold their fill very well.

Second, it seems that the fill adapters are longer than they need to be. He said he can modify them by shortening the length of the fill adapter.

So that 300 BAR Scuba Tank may be a good idea. And you can get cheaper cylinders from CMP. IIRC $115.
randy8745

LG300 Cylinder Leaks

Post by randy8745 »

Our club has five the Walther LG300 Jr rifles and all the cylinders would bleed out the entire air contents when they were unscrewed from the rifles. I sent them back to the CMP to be replaced. CMP sent back some new ones and after a few refills they are starting to do the same thing. I hate to think that I have to send these back as well.

Does anybody know if Walther is fixing the problem.

randys@bigskytel.com
Hip's Ax

Post by Hip's Ax »

I just e-mailed Walther America about the problem. I will post their response when I recieve it.
randy8745

Contacted CMP

Post by randy8745 »

I contacted CMP about the problem and they have contacted Scott Pilkington about the cylinder problem. Scott called me today and asked me to describe the problem to him. I don't know what they can do when it seems like a manufacturing or design problem.
Hip's Ax

Post by Hip's Ax »

Just got back from practice for another match tomorrow, the cylinder worked perfectly this time. After the last match one of the fellows showed me to back the cylinder off until it pops and leave it that way for storage, does everyone do this? Rifle shoots awesome, puts them where ever I hold it. Still haven't heard from Walther.
randy8745

Post by randy8745 »

Hip's Ax wrote:Just got back from practice for another match tomorrow, the cylinder worked perfectly this time. After the last match one of the fellows showed me to back the cylinder off until it pops and leave it that way for storage, does everyone do this? Rifle shoots awesome, puts them where ever I hold it. Still haven't heard from Walther.
I tired that and it worked sometimes, but by and large it still was releasing the entire contents of the cylinder. It was even doing it periodically after releasing the cylinder from the 80 cu ft scuba tank after refilling the cylinder.
TWP

Post by TWP »

My shooter with her own personal LG300 Jr. just got her new/modified fill adapter from Champions Choice. They shorten the stem on the fill adapter by about 1/8".

We used the new fill adapter to fill her rifle last night at practice. No air dump at all.

If you have access to a lathe it looks like a pretty easy modification, if not call Homer at CC and send your fill adapter in to him, or just buy a new modified one from him, they only cost $20.
Hip's Ax

Post by Hip's Ax »

Thats all well and good but since my rifle has dumped more often when unscrewing it from the rifle does that mean the fitting on the rifle needs to cut back as well? I used the rifle in another match this past Sunday, no problems with dumping at all. Still no word from Walther.
randy8745

LG300 cylinder

Post by randy8745 »

TWP wrote:My shooter with her own personal LG300 Jr. just got her new/modified fill adapter from Champions Choice. They shorten the stem on the fill adapter by about 1/8".

We used the new fill adapter to fill her rifle last night at practice. No air dump at all.

If you have access to a lathe it looks like a pretty easy modification, if not call Homer at CC and send your fill adapter in to him, or just buy a new modified one from him, they only cost $20.
All though I get an occassional leak when I release from the filling tank most of my leaks come when I release the cylinder from the rifle. If what your telling me is a solution a shorter nipple on the rifle would solve the problem, which is impossible for us to change. That change would have to come from the manufacture. It would be simpler for them to make a design change to the cylinder. The problem is directly related to the valve in the cylinder they just aren't seating when the cylinder is released from the rifle.