Anyone shoot the new Pardini Rapid Fire yet?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Ted Bell

Anyone shoot the new Pardini Rapid Fire yet?

Post by Ted Bell »

I brought up the new Pardini Rapid Fire pistol in Ernie's MG-2 discussion, and someone expressed some concerns about the reliability of the electronic triggers. Anyone have any experience with the RF models? I watched the World Cup at Benning at the beginning of summer, and think there were one or two competitors there that were shooting them. While I think that's what Milev used to win it (or at least a prototype), didn't Schumann miss the first day because of malfunctions with one?

Anyway, now that Pardini is finally shipping them, I was wondering if anyone here on the forum has actually used one themselves, and if so what their opinion is.

Thanks,
Ted
Rattner

Post by Rattner »

Regarding the rapid fire pistol what is the difference between the standard pardini pistol with electric trigger and the rapid fire version. If you were to get one pistol to use in both events whats the best choice?
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Schumann was DQ'd because his Pardini failed the velocity test. He probably used one of the new barrels, which have (or had, I don't know if they continued the experiment) a longer chamber to bleed off some of the gas pressure in front of the bullet. Doesn't work, btw. Precision goes to hell, velocity gets to be a problem (the Pardini barrel isn't all that long to start with) and the thing will only shoot acceptable groups with faster ammo, which seems kind of a paradoxon to me. As fas as I heard, the rapid fire version has a lighter slide, different springs and perhaps a different barrel, but that should be it. Btw, experience seems to show that mags are through after 10'000 shots, so keep a big enough stock of them.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Rattner wrote:Regarding the rapid fire pistol what is the difference between the standard pardini pistol with electric trigger and the rapid fire version. If you were to get one pistol to use in both events whats the best choice?
Looking at the Pardini brochure it looks like the main differences are that the RF version is heavier (probably due to the tungsten weights it comes with), a different bolt and a different grip.

It is unclear what the differences in the last two items are.
Rapid

Post by Rapid »

Hi,
My SP1 electronic Rapid Fire pistol is under way from Italy and should be delivered to my dealer any day now. Can't wait, as I am currently shooting a 1967 model Walther GSP (serial number 1360). Will let you all know how it turns out. From what I hear you are right in assuming it's the 6 (old version had 4) weights made from Tungsten that add the extra weight. By the way Tungsten means "heavy stone" in Swedish. If its to heavy (for standard pistol) you can alway change to the regular steel weights (which I hope will be included). I certainly intend using it for both events.
Will try some different sorts of ammo. Have bought 3 bricks of RWS special pistol 250 in anticipation, but have no speedometer. A couple of posts suggest that this ammo fail the speed test in barrels shorter that 153 mm.

Cheers,
Bob
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Rapid wrote:A couple of posts suggest that this ammo fail the speed test in barrels shorter that 153 mm.
I got the impression that it was much shorter barrels that were causing the problem.

153mm is, of course, the maximum barrel length you can have on an ISSF 25m pistol.
Rapid

barrel length

Post by Rapid »

Hi David,
You are right. All SP pistols have a barrel of 120 mm, which is considerably shorter than the 153 mm max ISSF length. Same is true for the Walther GSP (115 mm). The guns may fail the speed test using the new RWS ammo. For the new Walther SSP, if the folks in Ulm can get the thing on the market this millenium, one of the design requirements was a barrel of maximal (153 mm) length. That pistol should be fine, just as other models with this barrel configuration (MG2 152 mm, Feinwerkbau 152 mm etc).

Cheers,
Bob
Paul T (UK)

Post by Paul T (UK) »

Slightly on topic is the Lapua 250 .22 LR ammo now also available (same ammo) as S&K 250. Price in Switzerland very good. It feeds/functions well in the Pardini (both new models rapid and standard/sport). A brief comparison by others in squad was they could not notice recoil difference or marginal –v- Lapua Pistol King & Lapua Club (in tins). Our interests were standard pistol though.

A new electronic module is now available for the Pardini. I hope this will resolve the reliability and serious battery drain issues, I collect today (I hope).
Rapid2

SP RF

Post by Rapid2 »

Finally my new Pardini RF electronic has arrived!
The feel of the trigger is astonishing. It actually feels like my Walther OSP but measures 1050 gr in stead of 150 gr! It recharges with lightning speed (I certainly do not want to shoot the complete 4 second series within 1.5 seconds, but Pardi would comply without a hitch). The grip will meet mr Dremel soon, as it hurts the bottom side of may hand due to the rake of the grip (had the same issue with my K2S).
Gun is slightly heavy but has a real nice balance. Have dry fired it hundreds of times and the battery works lasts in the proverbial bunny. It appears they have solved the battery drain issue.
Can’t wait to actually shoot the gun, I’ll be back.
Bob
K5Tangos

Post by K5Tangos »

So far I've got about 2,000 dry fires and 500 live rounds through my new SP1 Rapid.

Nary a malfunction, and the two AAA batteries are still running strong.

Velocity test results posted last week on this forum.

Keith
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

K5Tangos wrote:So far I've got about 2,000 dry fires and 500 live rounds through my new SP1 Rapid.
Nary a malfunction, and the two AAA batteries are still running strong.
Out of interest, has your electronics module got the number 760 on it?
Rapid2

Trigger

Post by Rapid2 »

Just some note on the trigger of the Pardini RF pistol. It is virtually single stage, as a two-stage trigger isn’t much use in the shorter series. Moreover it has a sort of rolling release that allows for a fast trigger action. For standard pistol one (I) would prefer a two-stage trigger with a crisp release. This means you have to make a decision on the main use of he gun and decide if you buy the RF or standard configuration.
Bob
sparky

Post by sparky »

Is there any adjustment that would allow the RF trigger to be a 2-stage, or the SP trigger to be a 1-stage trigger?
magyar

triggers

Post by magyar »

they are all the same triggers. you can set the RF trigger 1 or 2 stage just as the SP trigger can be 1 or 2 stage
j-team

Post by j-team »

Magyar,

No other comments of SP1 performance?
magyar

Sp1 Rapid fire performance

Post by magyar »

Dear J-team,

Thank you for reminding me. As to the performance; these guns are great in many respects with the exception that they are highly unreliable.
Two of us got these guns early July and suffered nothing but trigger problem after trigger problem. One of us had the electronic unit replaced with the new 760 version but this unfortunately did not fix the issues of doubling or simply not working.

So in conclusion I must say they are great when working, but in hindsight I would have bought the mechanical triggered version and not been a guinea pig for the factory.

I do hope that all of those who are so eagerly awaiting their pre-ordered guns have better luck than we did.

It is hard to shoot well when you lose confidence in your equiptment.

Regards,
Magyar
Rapid2

SP1

Post by Rapid2 »

Hi Magyar,
Naturally I am aware of the fact that I could turn my trigger into a crisp 2-stage version by some adjustments. This is not something I look forward to on a regular basis though.
How easy/difficult is it to switch the trigger mechanism in the SP1? Did not dare to take the thing appart yet! The old Walther OSP had a handy modular mech. Could I buy an extra (mechanical) mechanism for the SP event?
So far I am happy with the electronic version. Not problems, but hope this will last!!!! Do more dry fire than live (unfortunately). Having 5 scale models on the wall and the electronic trigger is a nice set-up for this purpose. This was actually the reason of my choice.
Cheers,
Bob
magyar

Post by magyar »

It is very easy to change electronic units. J-team could probably explain this more than I can.

Unfortunately the frames are slightly different and lack many parts to become a mechanical SP.

We liked our guns alot but just found unreliability an issue. I believe many of the asian countries using them have suffered from the same problems we had. It is possible that humidity affects them working correctly.

Magyar
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

If you check one of the recent posts on this board concerning the CAT games you'll find reference to a shooter from the USA who dropped 30 points in the Rapid Fire match as a result of his Pardini Electronic trigger failing, producing an non-allowable malfunction. As much as I like the idea of an electronic trigger (and love the electronics in my Morini air pistols and free pistols), and like the looks and feel of the Pardini pistol, I don't think I'll be buying one any time soon. Just too much risk at the moment.
K5Tangos

Update

Post by K5Tangos »

I'm up to roughly 3,000 dry fires and 1,000 live rounds, still on the first set of Duracell AAA batteries, without a malfunction of any kind.

The only maintenance issue I've had at all is remembering to clean the contact point on the electronics module where the batteries connect. I starting hearing some different "clicks" during dry fires. Took off the grips and noticed a wee bit of oil had migrated down and coated the contact patch. Wiped it off and things returned to normal. Don't know if this would have caused a failure to fire or not, but it did sound like the solenoid discharged but just sounded 'weird'. That's the best I can describe it, sorry.