22lr standard pistols under 1000 grams?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
elbow

22lr standard pistols under 1000 grams?

Post by elbow »

I own a Pardini SP 1st series and I developed what appears to be a chronical tennis elbow, despite not being painful it does make the pistol feel like it weighed 10 times its own mass.

Thus, I'm looking for a lightweight 22lr standard pistol. But I do not know which ones are currently in production as well as known issues, ...

After visiting the Walther website I spotted for the first time the new Sport Pistol SSP, but sure there should be many other pistols under 1000g. So here is where I need your help, what pistols do you advice me folks?
william

Post by william »

Without questioning your diagnosis (my tennis elbow hurts like hell when it flares up), you might consider the SIG-Hammerli Trailside / X-ESSE. Quite light weight, and the more vertical grip angle is gentler on the elbow. Larry Carter offers a trigger upgrade that makes it not a Hammerli 208 but awfully good. Shameless commercial message: I'm offering one for sale in the Buy-Sell-Trade forum.
SteveT

Post by SteveT »

A Marvel conversion on a 1911 frame is pretty light.

A Ciener conversion on a Glock (or other plastic frame gun) would be even lighter, but the one I've seen was not exactly a tack driver and not exactly reliable.
magyar

light guns

Post by magyar »

Morini CM22M ALU

Light, reliable, well balanced with a great feeling adjustable trigger.
advice

Post by advice »

How much does your recommendations weight?
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Well, my MG-2 weighs just under 1000grams, when loaded!
crapgame

Post by crapgame »

I would also suggest you try the morini cm22 alu.I "fondled" with one last week in a shop,I found it to be very light (too light for me) and well balanced.A real sport pistol,not a plinker like the x-esse(though the best one of them).How about your pardini SP?I have the new model,if I take out the barrel weights(recoil absorbers)it is very light.
Patrick Haynes

Elbow Pain

Post by Patrick Haynes »

I know that you've said chronic elbow pain, but what are you doing to address the pain? While lowering the weight of the pistol will help some, that won't eliminate the problem.

Have you tried easing off on your grip pressure, as over-gripping does seem to lead to elbow pain (speaking from personal experience.)

A lighter gun may lead you to grip less tightly, but under stress or while attempting to create a steadier hold, your grip pressure may climb up, and you're back to where you started.

Also, have you tried rotating your elbow? I used to shoot with my elbow pointing down. I've now rotated my elbow to the right when I shoot (right-handed), and this reduced the force on the joint, easing the discomfort.

Looking for a lighter pistol sounds like a good plan, but what else can you do in your technique to address the issue?

Patrick Haynes
http://www.targetshooting.ca
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I would ask what are you doing outside of shooting to fix this ? You say 'appears' to be chronic tennis elbow. What have the Doctors advised ? I have only had minor tennis elbow which was cured by physio and self massage if it flares up.

Rob.
David Levene

Re: 22lr standard pistols under 1000 grams?

Post by David Levene »

elbow wrote:I own a Pardini SP 1st series and I developed what appears to be a chronical tennis elbow, despite not being painful it does make the pistol feel like it weighed 10 times its own mass.
Have you had this properly diagnosed by a doctor.

Having been forced to retire from competitive pistol shooting by tennis elbow I cannot understand your "despite not being painful". At it's peak I couldn't even pick up a cup of coffee because of the pain.
doctor said

Post by doctor said »

The doctor said that I'll have pain as long as I continue to practice and no treatment was indicated nor a cure.

The elbow doesn't hurt me much actually, but I have a flared muscle (joint?) and I suffer from being unable to hold the pistol steady enough.

Sure I had lots of pain once, but not now.