Pistol Grip Modification - Using hammerli Hi-Grip Paste

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
martin72

Pistol Grip Modification - Using hammerli Hi-Grip Paste

Post by martin72 »

Hi,

I have recently purchased a Hammerli AP40 and am looking to modify the grip to match the shape of my hand. Has anyone got any advice on how to do this. What should I be looking to achieve by doing this mod? I have purchased some black Hi-Grip paste from Hammerli in order to do this.

Regards,

Martin
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Martin what you are trying to do, in simple terms, is get the grip to fit your hand. So it shouldn't dig into your hand and neither should it have gaps between grip and hand. If that is all your doing then that's OK to do on your own, anything more complicated then get some help. The way I do my grip is take off bits with a dremmel and build up bit by bit with, in my case, plastic wood. You will probably find you over do it and have to take off some of the grip paste but do it in small steps and you will get there. I also take a week or two to do it all and shoot with the gun to see how it feels between grip modification sessions. Oh and as a quick tip the plastic wood goes like plasticene after a few mins and then you can carve it easily with a knife, when it hardens it's much more difficult to manipulate.

Rob.
jrmcdaniel

Post by jrmcdaniel »

My approach is to use Minwax Wood Filler (water-based, not toxic) and put a layer on the grip. I put on a vinyl (or latex) glove, spray some WD40 on the glove as a release (small amount and get it all over the grip area), I then grab the grip and squeeze lightly. When I take my hand off, I have an impression of my hand and fingers. You can mold a bit while the stuff is still wet or wait for it to dry and scrape or file. The stuff is very soft and easy to work. Repeat if still not right.

You can make it look better with some stain. The stain will leave the grip a bit tacky but that's not necessarily bad.

Best,

Joe
Bob LeDoux

I used car filler

Post by Bob LeDoux »

I form fitted my Pardini free pistol.

I started by using a Dremel tool with coarse sanding drum to remove the finish and provide tooth for filler.

I filled in small sections. Starting with the palm and moving outward from there. The compound puts out heat so don't apply too 'thickly.'

Thin layers of filler were applied. I wore a latex glove using hair spray as a release. The hand is pressed on and held until squeeze out starts to harden. Hand is removed and hobby knife used to remove excess material before it hardens.

Rough sandpaper is used to smooth edges before next filler coat is applied.

Avoid deep edges, like ridges between fingers or filler material will chip out in use. For such applications an epoxy material may be required instead of body filler.

Process is continued until fit is correct.

Final finish is primer followed by spray paint. Paint protects the filler from hand oils and other foreign substances.