Shooting Outfits

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

FoxyRifleChick

Shooting Outfits

Post by FoxyRifleChick »

Hi, I shoot smallbore and most of the people I compete against wear spandex shirts and pants. Is there an advantage to wearing spandex? I have the full suit to go over it, but can i wear regular clothes too? Thanks!

~Bonnie
litz10x

spandex vs. other clothes

Post by litz10x »

I shot in spandex pants with a regular t-shirt and then my shooting sweater. I opted for spandex because sweat pants are too hot and jeans don't really move with you and they are uncomfortable to shoot prone in because of the button, and the belt loops.

I guess it's really just a matter of personal preference. Try shooting in several different types of clothing and see what works best for you.

Good luck.

Steph
GA Guest

It really does seem to work

Post by GA Guest »

Just as runners use elastic material and foot ball players do to, it seems to help. We have somewhere around 75 kids in our program and the top shooters all wear x gear or the Walmart version. It seem to help them keep cool in the summer time. We have around 85% humidity in our range most of the time so they want to keep as cool as possible. Id say by the cheap stuff and try it for yourself.

Roy McClain
EODTNT1@aol.com
Spalding Co. 4H Shooting Sports

Post by Guest »

I hate spandex, it reminds me too much of uncomfortable pantyhose (that term's sure redundant!). Your mileage may vary, but I wear thin cotton training ("exercise") pants, tee shirt & sweatshirts.

The key is to waer what YOU are comfortable in, not what the others are doing. Concentrate on yourself.
riflenerd

Post by riflenerd »

well, by the sounds of your screen name, i can think of one advantage to spandex....

if you walk around in it on the shooting range, you'll distract all the guys.
(hey, it works)

but seriously, it's more comfortable on your skin that canvas and if you're shooting outdoors, you won't feel the bugs crawling on you.
TWP

Post by TWP »

Depending upon which rules you shoot under you may not be allowed to wear a pair of jeans or street pants under you shooting pants.

My daughter started out wearing sweats under her shooting gear, once she went to the spandex she hasn't worn the sweats again.

And as riflenerd said, I have seen some of the female shooters using all of their assets in a match. Not sure how much it really upsets the shooting of the young gentlman, but they try.