Warm up exercises to shooting

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
mcmoura

Warm up exercises to shooting

Post by mcmoura »

What exercises are sugested to a shooter before starting a match? I suppose it shouldn't be too soft (not warming up) nor too hard (letting muscle shaking). What about something like a sprawl to wake up muscles?
Thanks in advance.
jrmcdaniel

Post by jrmcdaniel »

I like to stretch the shoulder joint (grap a door top and put your weight on the arm). I have had some joint problems and stretching "cured" the problem and keeps it from recurring. If I don't stretch regularly, I get a "crick" in the joint as I lift the gun and know it's time to stretch even in the middle of shooting.

Best,

Joe
Albert

exercises

Post by Albert »

Try the site:
www.Targetshooting.ca
it gives a lot of different stretching exercises

Albert
(The Netherlands)
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I personally do a light warm up in the pre-preparation period. I stretch both arms/shoulders, rotate both arms (like a windmill, at the side) and generally shake and loosen them. I sometimes also massage my forearm as that can get tight during a mtch.

Rob.
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

I find gentle stretching exercises which involve the whole body are most beneficial. Don't forget the back, hamstrings and quads. They all have an effect on your ability to stand firmly and confidently.

Of course, if we were all serious about our shooting, we would be doing some light gym work at least once a week to keep all our muscles toned. No need to lift heavy weights but shooters really need more than just practising lifting the handgun or a similiar weight once or twice a week.

At opens I often find shooters complaining about their backs after shooting five matches in two days. A good exercise regime would help overcome this and would prevent scores dropping off as the weekend progresses.

Earlier this year I began to practise which I preach above and after 5-6 weeks my scores not only improved, they became far more consistent. I am hooked on the whole body approach to provide a fine-tuned shooting platform. It gives you confidence and that has to help the mental aspect of shooting which we all know is vital.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Same thing as training days.

For an 0900 FRDR, around 0500 powerwalk 3.5 miles followed by high rep/low weight upper body work.

[Reduces tension and pre-stresses key components. Do NOT want high energy levels for match.]

Some light stretching at 0830.

[More for mental game than physical system.]

Focus, Shoot, Repeat.

Steve
Dick Poore

Post by Dick Poore »

Mark Kelley and I asked Ragner Skanniker(sp) about his pre-match routine once at Ft. Benning...he replied with a twinkle in his eye that the "secret" is to drink a few beers and find a willing women the night before. Those crazy 70-year olds......

Dick Poore