accuracy with low velocity 22's

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Ernie Rodriguez

accuracy with low velocity 22's

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

Anyone have experience with accuracy at 30ft to 50ft using 22's at less than 800fps.Either cb's,primer only,22 shorts etc.Was thinking of using a f/p indoors.Any disadvantages?Problems?Thanks-Ernie
gallery-shooter?

squibs

Post by gallery-shooter? »

I have not used the shorts (CB, BB) or even 6mm flobert in a fp. I would not think of using any cartridge with a case shorter than the chamber in any (precious) FP.

But there is a solution: Years ago I used .22 long Z (z for zimmer = room, or indoor) sold by Geco/RWS. The case and priming was standard .22 l.r. The bullet was the .22 short type, and the powder charge was very modest. Volocity in the 700 - 800 fps range, I think. Accuracy in a ..22 standard rifle was relatively ok.

These cartridges were more expensive than regular low cost .22 lr cartridges.

Why do you want to use anyting else than standard .22 lr at 50 feet? Danger at penetration of backstop? Loud report?
Standard .22 lr will groop tighter, I recon.
Ernie Rodriguez

squib load

Thanks for info.Was concerned for noise and penetration.Might give up the idea.
Bob LeDoux

Low Velocity Shots

Post by Bob LeDoux »

I shoot Super Colibri from my free pistol into my air pistol trap with no ill effect. These cartridges have a velocity of about 500 fps. They are not particularly accurate. The rounds are intended only for pistols. The powder charge could cause stoppage in a longer rifle barrel. I look for every target hole before reloading. If there is any question of the bullet striking the target I run a plastic probe down the barrel to ensure it is clear.

Occasionally, these rounds go on sale for about $12 per carton of 500 from various suppliers.
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Just a quick note... Have tried both Aguila Super Colibri and their SSS ammo in the free pistol. Tests were done in our 20-yard indoor range. The Super Colibri kept all the shots on the scaled-down free pistol target (which measures about 11" square), but just barely. The SSS (with a long, heavy bullet, 69 grains if I remember correctly) was a real joke. At 20 yards the bullets tumbled and cut through the paper sideways. Needless to say, I didn't fire enough of them to produce a measureable group. Of the few I fired I'm not certain they all hit the paper. Ugggghhhh, scary!
Ernie Rodriguez

Low vel 22's

Hey Mark.Thanks for the insight.I was getting the impression that it wasn't such a good idea anyway.I thought it was a good way to become a little more familiar with a new f/p rather than driving 15 miles just to get my feet wet,so to speak. Tks to all-Erod
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

ERod - If I may, permit me to make a couple of quick observations as somebody who's still on the steep part of the free pistol learning curve.

Firstly, recoil and how you handle it is a major factor in FP shooting. If shooting low energy ammo indoors, you'll feel something entirely different than the real FP experience. Not sure if many will agree with me, but I find that I have to adjust my technique depending on the brand of ammo I use. Some ammo is hot, some of it is soft. The pistol, through the grip to your hand, arm, shoulder and body acts as a system. Once you've become accustomed to a certain recoil if you change to a different ammo it takes a while to adjust your grip pressure etc to compensate for the changed recoil characteristics. For this reason I would say that practicing FP with low energy ammo is of very limited benefit.

Also, one of the challenges of shooting FP is that it's done outdoors at 50m. The presents an entirely different picture to the shooter's eyes. It also presents vastly different and changing light conditions, as well as varying temperatures, and of course it also introduces wind. While my local climate forces me to train indoors for at least 5 months of the year, moving to an outdoor range makes it feel like an entirely different sport. Once again, shooting low energy ammo on an indoor range would provide some training benefit, but not nearly as much as if you are able to shoot outdoors where you will learn to cope with and adapt to the large number of variables found there.

Just my two cent's worth... I wish you great success and enjoyment in shooting FP!
FredB

Learning curve

Post by FredB »

Mark Briggs wrote: permit me to make a couple of quick observations as somebody who's still on the steep part of the free pistol learning curve.
So Mark, does your comment imply that there is some part of the free pistol learning curve that is NOT steep? (I'm hoping you will say yes, but then I probably wouldn't believe it anyway!)

FredB
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Fred,

I'd have to think that after your scores reach 580 or so the learning curve would flatten out a bit. *wink*

But for the rest of us, it's back to that up-hill striggle!
strazzman

Post by strazzman »

"580"??? You set your sights a little low!