Steyr LP10 vs. LP2

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
kbc

Steyr LP10 vs. LP2

Post by kbc »

Hi,

Does any one has experience in using both of these air pistols? I am trying to decide which of this air pistol to get. I like the light weight and pallet loading mechanism of LP2. But the LP10 stablelizing mechanism sounds very attractive as well. Thank you for taking the time to share your opinions.

kbc
Denis

Post by Denis »

If you can afford it, the LP10 will save you the anguish of thinking in 6 months time you should have bought one.
I know the loading mechanism on the LP2 looks nice, but look at the posts of Warren Potter and a few others explaining the ease and risk of double loading.
SteveT

Post by SteveT »

The first few times I shot the LP10, I found the loading to be a PITA, but decided that the stabilizer and adjustable grip were worth more to me as a beginner than the trigger of a Morini. After just a few sessions, loading the pellets was easy and natural and no big deal. After a few years I don't even think about it. I can load with my eyes closed.

Regards,
Steve T
RobStubbs

Re: Steyr LP10 vs. LP2

Post by RobStubbs »

kbc wrote:Hi,

Does any one has experience in using both of these air pistols? I am trying to decide which of this air pistol to get. I like the light weight and pallet loading mechanism of LP2. But the LP10 stablelizing mechanism sounds very attractive as well. Thank you for taking the time to share your opinions.

kbc
Pick them up and if possible shoot them, then decide for yourself. The LP10 is technically better but undoubtably both are capable of shooting extemely high scores. Don't worry about pellet loading, after a few tries you won't even notice it.

Rob.

Post by Guest »

as hk says" in a world of compromise some don't". Go for the 10 you won't be dissapointed. If you loose interest it will re sell quick and probably almost what you spent for it. I bought the LP1 early on in my AP shooting career and asked this board for its opinion. If a used LP10 was around I probably would have spent the extra 2 bits.

LP10

Post by Guest »

I can tell you that the LP10 ia a fine pistol, and our most gracious host is the best place to get one. That said I have no experience with the LP2. I recommend the LP10 because:
It is a fine precision pistol.
Fantastic grip adjustment.
It will hold it's value if you should ever want to change horses.
It is practically impossible to load incorrectly.
I will add that our host is practitioner of true customer service.
DavidO.

Post by DavidO. »

I bought an LP10 after deciding between the LP2 and Morini mechanical trigger. I am shooting in the 520 and up and once you get the basics down its just a matter of practice. Unfortunately I haven't shot in over three weeks. The LP10 has gone up in price since I bought it, but its a fine well built air pistol. Check with Pilkguns. There are a number of topics on this issue too in these forums in the archives. It is expensive, but if you plan to use it and stick with the sport, its worth it. Good luck.
kbc

Thanks

Post by kbc »

Thank you all for taking the time to share your opinions. I have been shooting target air pistol since my high school days in the late 80s. My first target air pistol was FWB C20. It is a great gun. Since I have a small body frame and small hands, this pistol is too heavy for me. So I sold it to a girl on the Olympic Pentathlon Team. Now I have an Anshutz M10. I have this one for quite a few years but have only shot two matches with it and no more than 1000 rounds. It broke at the end of the shooting match earlier this month. Fortunately I am mechanically inclined enough to repair it myself after I returned home.
Does anyone of you think that the full length barrel cover on LP10 adds extra weight to the pistol?

kbc
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

kbc - in answer to your question about the full length barrel shroud on the LP-10 adding weight, I can assure you it does. I recently participated in an experiment where the shroud from my LP-10 was attached to a Morini 162EI Short. The outside diameters of the LP-10 and CM162 are virtually identical so this was an easy experiment. Predictably, it radically altered the balance of the pistol, making it feel considerably more muzzle-heavy. The LP10 is already a light pistol, as is the LP-2, but the LP-2 feels slighly less muzzle-heavy. I've only dry-fired an LP-2 but felt its balance was better for me than the LP-10.

Just as an aside, I also have an LP-1, which Steyr bills as the parent of the LP-2. Even though the LP-10 has recoil compensation in the breech bolt and a drilled barrel, I still can't make mine shoot as well as my LP-1, either in terms of match scores or test targets from a vise. While many folks here have provided you with valid points for consideration, I would highly recommend that you don't rule out the LP-2 until you get a chance to try one. It would be even better if you could try a -2 and a -10 at the same time.

I wish you good success with your decision-making!
wai

LP2 Differences

Post by wai »

One thing to consider is that the LP2 has a rear sight with limited adjustability.

The Rear sight notch for the LP2 is a simple "plate" with the notch cut-out. So both the width and depth of the notch is NOT changable other then perhaps getting a different "plate".

This might be important if you have "older" eyes that would need a wider notch than normal.

As a side note, the felt recoil of the LP2 also seem different, it feels sharper but also quicker, perhaps this is due to the light weight of the gun ?
j-team

Post by j-team »

I too found that my LP1 (which got stolen - Arghhhh!!!!!) shot tighter groups from a vice than my LP10.

I wonder if the drilled barrel is the cause of this, the LP1 could shoot 10 shots into one CLEAN hole from the vice, but the LP10 can only do a "ragged" hole. To add further weight to my theory, I had the same experience with Rapid Fire Pistol barrels that I have made in the past. I would often test them on the pistol before I put the ports in and always they shot larger groups once the ports were put in.

So, back to the LP2 question. While I like my LP10 and the "ragged" hole groups are still plenty good enough to shoot 600/600 I can't see anything that would really make the LP2 an inferior pistol, it just has a few less features.
bluechucky

Post by bluechucky »

j-team wrote:I too found that my LP1 (which got stolen - Arghhhh!!!!!) shot tighter groups from a vice than my LP10.
Interesting... Two people in this thread has said the same thing.

I wonder, and this may be a stupid question, but when testing groups, have either of you used a spread of different pellets, or just the ones that worked well in the LP1?
j-team

Post by j-team »

Yes Bluechucky, I had four different sizes/batches of RWS R10 and three H&N Finale Match.

I wouldn't say the LP10 groups are bad, in fact I'm quite happy with them. It's more that the LP1 was outstanding. With one of the 10 shot groups from the LP1 not even the head of an unfired pellet could not be dropped through the 10 shot hole in the target.

By the was my LP1 was a CO2 version purchased in about 1995 I think.
Axel

Post by Axel »

j-team, have you tried to adjust the velocity on your LP10? I have read somewhere that each pistol has its own "sweet spot" regarding pellet type/brand, velocity and target groupings.

/Axel
j-team

Post by j-team »

Yes, I've "fiddled" with the velocity. As I said the LP10 groups are OK.
DaveS

Post by DaveS »

If the question of the barrel shroud adding weight and the price difference between the LP2 and LP10 is an issue, have you considered the Anschutz LP@ ? It's the very same pistol minus the shroud. Now that they have ported the barrel in the recent versions, there shouldn't be any difference in performance. If there is a question of how good the barrel is, the LP@ would probably be superior as it's the only real difference between the pistols and made by Anschutz.