Shooting parallels

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

JohnK

Shooting parallels

Post by JohnK »

I am not a golfer but appreciate watching some of the great players. There seem to be a lot of parallels between golf and shooting. My favorite movie on the subject, that could have had it's plot changed from golf to shooting, was the "Legend of bagger Vance".
Yesterday I watched the Masters.
I had heard that Tiger could really "spray" the shots but never had seen him make so many bad ones as over the course of the tournament.
Yet, he recovered to make some incredible shots and eventually win.
Does anyone else see the parallels?
Any lessons learned?
J.P.
Thanks!
JLK
jackh

up to a point, yes

Post by jackh »

Each golf stroke and each pistol shot is accomplished with certain equipment combined with very refined motor skills to send a 'projectile' towards a specific target. What goes into the refined skills and the mental game is probably quite similar. I think it ends there though. The scoring systems are totally different, and Tiger Woods is a lot richer than most of us shooters. :)
BothellBob

Post by BothellBob »

I see a few more similarities:
Both can be played well by most anyone at least some of the time, and into one's dotage. One need not be six foot nine, weigh 350 pounds, or run the mile in under four minutes. While we could get hurt playing against a professional boxer or football/basketball player; I can shoot against an Olympian (or the Tiger) without injury and I will occasionally equal (and better) their efforts (not over a whole course, but I can get nines and tens, pars and birdies; just not as consistently).

Now, does my sig line still work?
-Bob
My friend told me to take up golf. He said golf would teach me the lessons of humility. I told him I shot free pistol, so I had all the humility I could stand.
BothellBob

Post by BothellBob »

Apparently it does not. It should read:

My friend told me to take up golf. He said golf would teach me the lessons of humility. I told him I shot free pistol, so I had all the humility I could stand.

-Bob