Open or close stance

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
wai

Open or close stance

Post by wai »

What are the advantage/dis-advantage of using the Close ( 45 degree ) or Open ( 90 degree ) stance ?

I see that in the US AMU Pistol Training Guide that they suggest using the Close stance, i.e. standing at about 45 degree with respect to the firing line.

While at my range, the coaches ( from China ) all uses the Open stance, i.e. they all stand at 90 degree to the firing line.

Thank you.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

From what I've heard and observed the current wisdom is that 90 degrees is the favoured option. I was told that that stance reduces the muscular involvement (more or less eliminates the pectoral involvement). In theory therefore that should lead to a more stable hold.

Rob.
FredB

Stance

Post by FredB »

One major difference between the AMU and the Chinese coaches is that the AMU is primarily concerned with shooting the .45 (and now 9mm) pistols, whereas most ISSF coaches will concentrate on small bore. The significant difference in recoil between the 2 types of pistols probably has a lot to do with different stance recommendations. For example, with a stance approaching 90 degrees, the tendency is to lean back to balance the weight of the extended gun. That works fine for shooting a relatively heavy free pistol over an exended period of time, one shot at a time. But it would be very difficult to manage a .45 in timed and rapid fire with the same technique.

FredB
dlinden

Post by dlinden »

Col. Joe Chang, captain of Air Force pistol team and highly accomplished in conventional pistol, coaches and uses open stance in Bulleseye competition. Uses arm and body in straight plane to absorb recoil and get back on the target. Works pretty well for him.
Bob Fleming

stance

Post by Bob Fleming »

I use a 90-degree stance and have an exceptionally exaggerated lean. Something unusual about my body allows me to seem to stack my ribs on top of each other and use very little muscle to hold myself up. The first time I went to Perry I was #52 in the P100. I was not yet distinguished and only classified as Expert. Full power Hardball loads are no problem but wind is another matter altogether. Heavy crosswinds require a very rigid position that is not possible with my stance.
Denis

Post by Denis »

Very good question.
I have just downloaded some videos from Target Shooting Canada from the World Cup Athens 2004 and all stances I could see were 90 degrees to the target.
Most new shooter info says to start with the 45 degree stance.
Is this info outdated? If most all top shooters adopt the 90 degree stance, where is the justification to start at 45?
Axel

Post by Axel »

Use whatever stance that feels good to you. For me a 45 degree stance feels stable, relaxed and natural. 90 degrees stance, for me, is very unconfortable, especially after 2 hours of training...

Shooting tens is what it's all about ! :-)

/Axel
bluechucky

Post by bluechucky »

Interesting subject.

Just wondering how havinf a cross dominate eye would alter the answer to this question.

90% stance and cross domination would mean that you twist your neck a little too much, introducing strain and early fatigue.