Alternative to dexedrine & waivers for ADD shooter?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Range Mom

Alternative to dexedrine & waivers for ADD shooter?

Post by Range Mom »

My daughter has been shooting (smallbore, Precision/ Sporter 3P, Int'l Air) for three years in a high school program. She would like to shoot in a college NCAA program and has hopes for a future try for the Olympics.

She is dyslexic and ADD (diagnosed in Kindergarden) but did not start any drug therapy until 8th grade. I understand that Dexedrine is on the Prohibited List for the Olympics and that there is a waiver that can be obtained for NCAA shooting? Can anyone explain how to get the waiver (what documentation is required) or point me in the right direction? Is there a permitted alternative to dexidrine? What is a Theraputic use Exemption and how is that obtained?

I've searched this site, the NCAA site, called and e-mailed the NCAA and the CDC with these questions and received no responses. Thanks for your help. Shooting has been a real blessing for my daughter. It has helped her train herself to focus and develop self control.
Last edited by Range Mom on Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

I don't know much about the NCAA, but the organization in the US that deals with doping in the Olympic sports is USADA. They have the Theraputic Use Exemption (TUE) form and the Guide to Prohibited Substances available for download on their website.
AlaskaKate

a couple things to consider

Post by AlaskaKate »

NCAA probably hasnt gotten back to you because they are still researching an answer.
However, I have heard of shooting helping people with dyslexia and ADD out because of the focus required for the sport. so maybe a trial run without the meds? just a suggestion.
Range Mom

Post by Range Mom »

Thanks for the guidance John and AlaskaKate! I went carefully through the online sources at the USADA site you noted above. Great info. I did the Drug Reference Online search and called the phone number provided.

I actually reached a real person, a medical professional who answered a lot of my questions. He confirmed that a possible alternative solution for ADD shooters called Strattera is allowed both in and out of competition. It is not a stimulant, it is a Selective Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitor. I'll do some research and consult my doctor about it's suitability for my daughter. Does anyone out there have any experience with this medication?

We have tried having her shoot without the dexedrine. I just can't take the stress of watching her try to shoot her last kneeling target in three minutes. She has no sense of time management and can't find where she puts things - even right in front of her- mildly distractable when off medicine. Not really unsafe but not a preferred condition to be in on a range.
TWP

Post by TWP »

Range Mom,

I have a littlle experience with ADD. I have 2 boys who are ADHD and I have been diagnosed and adult ADD.

One of my sons who had been on Ritalin tried Straterra.

All I could say was WOW. It took about 4 or 5 days before it started to work. But his clarity and focus were incredible. Unfortunately he didn't like the side effects, he continuosly had a dry mouth and often got the dry heaves during the day. He stayed with it for a few weeks, but when he started complaining about it we switched him back to Ritalin.
RobH

Post by RobH »

TWP,
If your son's Ritalin was discontinued without slowly tapering overy SEVERAL weeks, he was likely suffering from withdrawl and not side effects of Stratera. I'm a pharmacist and see that all the time. Doctor or family says lets switch meds and they are just switched. If you are switching from one stimulant to another i.e. changing from methylphenidate to dextroamphetamine, there is little need for a taper. But if you are changing from a stimulant to a nonstimulant it is necessary.

HTH
Rob
TWP

Post by TWP »

Rob,

Thanks, There was no tapering off. Nothing I read or was told about it said it was nesecessary with Ritalin.

Both symptoms were mentioned as possible side effects of the Stratera.

When we tried the Stratera there was a several (5?) day period on a partial dose, then the full dose. After a couple of days on the full dose we really noticed the difference. I really noticed it at the dinner table, normally by then the Ritalin has worn off. We always ask the kids how their day was and what they did. His responses are usually very disjointed and tough to follow. When he was on the Stratera he could give a very clear, orderly, and detailed account of his day.

We may try and switch again this summer after school is out.
Range Mom

Post by Range Mom »

Rob & TWP,

This is great input. TWP - It is good to here from someone with personal experience, even if it was a mixed response. Rob, your guidance will be very helpful. We are thinking that we should try switching our daughter during the summer break also. I'm reading that it takes about four to five weeks for the Strattera to reach full effectiveness and that most of the patients who experienced side effects saw them disipate after that time.

One of the side effects from the research studies indicated that the Strattera raised the pulse a few beats per minute in a small number of patients. This is not desirable for a shooter, however controlling breath and heart rate is something all shooters must learn.
RobH

Re: Ritalin

Post by RobH »

Sometimes what works is to start the taper of Ritalin and start the Stratera at the same time. Tapering the Ritalin during the first few weeks of the Stratra.