Eley Tenex Ultimate Semi Auto: Best Ammo?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Bart B.

Eley Tenex Ultimate Semi Auto: Best Ammo?

Post by Bart B. »

Lones Wigger told me a few weeks ago at our league shoot at the Olympic Training Center that Eley's new Tenex Ultimate Semi Auto is now becomming a favorite of the rimfire benchrest discipline. It's bullet is shaped like the pre EPS one and has a special lubricant. And he's using it now himself.

So, I buys two boxes of Eley's Match Semi Auto (that black box stuff that often shoots better than the red box stuff) and tries it. I'm impressed. In my factory Anschutz 1911 barrel, I think it'll stay under 3/10ths inch (7.6mm) center to center at 50m. Finally a batch of Eley shoots as well as the two lots I had from the early 1980s.

These bullets are greater in diameter than any other Eley or RWS ammo I've used. Measuring about .2245-inch (5.702 mm) they require more force to push 'em in my 1911's chamber. Wigger gave me a box of Tenex Ultimate Semi Auto last summer at a match to try but it didn't shoot very accurate. I've tried about 10 different lots of Tenex Ultimate EPS (not Semi Auto as first posted) and it did not do well in my 1911. RWS R50 and R100 have done very well indeed.

So I'm curious if anyone out there has tried Eley's semi auto match bullets and how they performed. Please post your experiences.
Last edited by Bart B. on Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
NetNinja

Post by NetNinja »

I tried Eley Ultimate Tenex and discovered that Eley Match EPS was just as good.

I used to shoot RWS subsonic because it was cheaper but Eley Match EPS is tops in my 1813 Supermatch.

Post by Guest »

I clamped my son's 1907 in a vice last week for ammo testing. The regular Eley Tenex did not group as well as the black box EPS. Now get this, the EPS was not as consistant as the Wolf Match Target. Yeah, the cheap stuff. I shot 10 - 5 shot groups of each, and the Wolf Match target held one hole every time, even if some of the holes were a little bigger than others. The EPS and the Tenex, both had flyers, and the one hole groups were not as small. This was done at 50 ft., outdoors, so some of the groups would probably be better indoors.
Tony Nielson

Post by Tony Nielson »

We have a good discussion happening here:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... 258&page=2

that you might want to take a look at.

Tony Nielson
Nielson Brothers Arms, Inc.