Head Position

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Jonno

Head Position

Post by Jonno »

Hi all,
I,m having real problems with my head/cheek position while shooting prone, I just can't keep it consistent. It always seems to follow the same pattern: Shoot a few sighters; fine. Start shooting for score, first few shots, fine. Then I simply forget how I had my head on the stock, It just all of a sudden does not feel " Right".

Anyone have any tips, I would be really grateful.

Rgrds, Jonno.
Albert

headposition

Post by Albert »

It sounds like you place your head on the cheeckpiece with muscleforce, forcing your head in a specific position. When you have put the rifle and yourself in position, look directly over the rifle towards the target with your head in a normal, upright position. Rearsight, frontsight and terget should be ligned up.
If so, make a "yes" knodding motion, lowering your head on the cheeckpeace. Target should now be viseble inside the frontsight insert.
If sights and target are not alingned when looking over the rifle, check the position of the buttplate etc.
When you feel or see the rifle cant sideways as you put your head on the cheeckpiece you are creating a horizontal force on the rifle. Check or change the position (horizontal and/or vertical) of the cheeckpiece.
Good shooting

Albert
(The Netherlands)
Jonno

Post by Jonno »

Thanks for the tip Albert,I've actually tried this. The problem is that it puts a lot of strain on my upper body/neck to be able to see OVER the sights:

Does this mean I should raise the but-hook a bit to lower the level of the rifle?

Thanks, Jonno
KoyRoy

Way of the head, at shooting

Post by KoyRoy »

Yes, it can be difficult to keep the head possition and pressure against the stock constant.

With heavy recoiling hunting rifles, .416 and up, I sometimes shoot with my mouth partly open, to protect my teeth from the battering of recoil. This is somewhat dependent of stock (read cheek-piece) size and design, though.

For military auto-rifle rapidfire programs, I keep a rather firm to very firm pressure with my cheek to the stock. This, for me, reduses recovery time for sight picture pick-up, and also reduces shot spread.

Riflero
Albert

Post by Albert »

Jonno, do you have to force/stress your neck/upper body vertical, or sideways to look over the sights? + what kind of rifle are we talking about?
jonno

Post by jonno »

Albert,
I,ve just spent a while dry firing and realised that the "strain" i referred to is no more than a bit of discomfort due to the fact that Up untill now i have always brought my head to the stock from the side of the rifle. It's something i can easily get used to. I stuck a small piece of rough velcro to the cheek piece ( as a witness mark ) and by using the method you suggested cheek placement seems to be very consistent. A trip to the range will show.
Another Question: As i said before, it always seems that my sighting shots are very good. Then every thing holds tight for a few rounds untill i get this problem with the head/cheek. My shots start to string vertically. Fairly clean tens become bad 9's either high or low (very little problem with the horizontal) Is this a classic symptom of inconsistent head/cheek placement or is there something else i should perhaps look at?

Rgrds, Jonno.
Bart B.

Post by Bart B. »

For most folks shooting prone with their sight axis about 35mm to 40mm above bore center, I think the cheekpiece top center line that aligns with the bore should be about 2mm to 3mm above bore center.

One thing to do for checking all of your body parts being in the right position is to get into position, close your eyes, then go through 3 or 4 reloading actions including the deep breathing between imaginary shots. Open your eyes, look through the sights and you should be centered on your target with eye position correct for a good sight picture through the sights.

If your position in any way is no longer correct, something needs to be changed until you can do several reloading actions with your eyes closed and stay on target all the time. Otherwise you are not in your natural point of aim.

Without being able to see what you're doing, it's hard for us on this website to make really good recommendations. I suggest you have a really good shooter/coach observe you going through these blind reloading and simulating firing procedures. He'll probably notice something you need to do that'll fix your problem.
Curt

Post by Curt »

i find that my head position problems usually have to do w/ the buttplate not being where it should be. once that is correct, it seems that there is only one way to be comfortable.

just a thought.
Albert

vertical stretched groops

Post by Albert »

Jonno,
reading your 2nd question I get the impression you do not take enough time to get settled in. It takes at least 10 to 15 minutes (have made studies about it) before the bodyparts, clothing, sling, etc. have stretched, shifted to their final position. The sling stretches causing front of rifle to drop - you compensate unconsious by using muscleforce to lift the rifle. The coatsleeve stretches ans slides over your shoulder/arm untill it can go no further - same result as with the sling. The skeleton is flexible and is pulled slowly into a position untill all space between the joints is gone. Al things mentioned will cause the rifle to drop and you start using muscle force and start to put your right elbow in a unnatural (not perfect/unballanced) position as you unconsiously try to compensate. Try to check your Natural Point of Aim after aprox. 15 minutes and adjust your butplate in hight if neccesary.
Come to think of it, if you use a shooting mat, your elbow can sink into the (soft?) mat as well, untill fabric is pressed enough - causing change in vertical angle of rifle/NPA
Let me know how goes, good luck
Albert
(The Netherlands)
Jonno

Post by Jonno »

I,m almost too embarassed to admit this:

What was actually happening was that my body was slowly rolling over to the left side while loading, left elbow was gradually getting closer to torso, muzzle dropping, butt plate getting higher, in fact my position was a real mess!!!. I've been experimenting over the winter months with keeping the rifle in the shoulder between shots. When I can get it right and maintain postion the results are ( for me anyway ) quite spectacular. Due to the low temperatures over here i have been mostly alone at the outdoor range and obviously lost discipline. The tip, or reminder would be more correct, from Albert about proper cheek placement was the key to discovering this. as with a lot of things, when you know where the problem lies correcting it is a relatively simple task.

Thanks for all the advice, jonno.
Albert

Post by Albert »

Nice to hear advice came to good results! Next time I want to read you scored 600 out of 600. If temps are so cold, where are you located? Read a nice tip on this or benchrest forum: put on a soft glove (like the ones used by people who need to protect hands covered in ontment), turn the sleevepart back and put a small handwarmer between the fabric on the inside of the wrist. The blood transfers the heat into the hand/triggervinger.

Lots of X's
Albert (The Netherlands)